Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Just a minute……….

We’ve all maybe been there… We’re intent on whatever the project, task, TV show, book, thing we’re absorbed wholeheartedly in – and we’re approached by a child, a friend, a coworker, a loved one… and again we’re approached… and again… and in blurted frustration “JUST A MINUTE” sneaks out, rather hurtfully – whether intended or not.

It’s like “What I’m doing is important, you, and what you want – isn’t.” Funny life throws us those occasions to show our ass, and we usually comply.

Victor? You gonna preach again? Mebbe. Remember, Times New Roman 12, I speak, write – to me – hitchhikers welcome.

Yesterday I had a couple “just a minute’s” of the other variety – good ones. Beloved son, who – sometimes can demonstrate “neediness” – texts me “Hi Pops.. love you.. hope you have a good day.” This could be an every day thing for you – but it loomed large in this “ironing out” process of a child’s life. There’s a great heart inside there – and it popped up nicely yesterday in that “just a minute.”

Just a minute #2. Monday morning, I walked into my loving cubicle – and there on my keyboard was a sack of candy bars. Hmmm. Who? Why?..

Friday – they let our company off two hours early as snow was coming down dreadfully fast and furious. By 3pm, nine inches on the ground. My ole’ buddy, the oldest guy here – was walking out to his car. He’s like a father, or grandfather, to many of us here. In a small “just a minute” I removed the snow from his windows. Small gesture by me, apparently larger to him. Thus, the bag of candy bars Monday morning.

Life is made up of minutes. We can demonstrate no patience and make the minutes sucky, frustrating, no fun - - or, we can turn the corners of our mouths up – fill our minutes with handing out hella many fun, loving, “hi howareya”, high fives, knuckle touches, friendly texts, emails – even a wink or two.

Little gal here, new to our company. Not many dealings with her. When I have though, it’s always “thank you dear.” Small perhaps to her, large to me (and I don’t mean anything sexually at all – even in spitea the ‘underarm’ thingy the other day.) It’s just a nice descriptor she adorns people with – and it’s a “just a minute” that stands out.

Oh… Oh I need a lotta work on my life – yet, somehow, I think I’m doing better on the “just a minutes”. In spitea the poopy condition of my house.. My van that doesn’t have reverse or overdrive. (I know, real chick magnet eh?).. The night/day financial differences in how I save money here at work – and can’t stay on the balance beam of my own checking account --- I love life. I love the ‘just a minutes’. They add up. They make a day. An hour. Five minutes. Just a minute.

We only get one shot at those “just a minutes” – I vote, fill them suckers with fun, warmth, smiles. We ain’t perfect – even you Oprah.. but, we can all concentrate on making our “just a minutes” happy – so that one day it’ll be a natural thing that just happens.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo……. let’s wing a fun email. Let’s friendly wink at a coworker. Let’s say ‘dear’. Let’s shake hands. Let’s ask “hey, how are you?”.. Lets’ text “luv u!” Let’s SMILE. Oh do I love smiles.

I go on this goofy online dating site (VICTOR? You STILL do that?) Uh huh, do. I go there – and I perty much think you can tell from the pics – who understands, “gets” that life is really all about “just a minute.” I don’t initiate communication based on smarts, job, breast size, the booty, any-o-that.. (Ok, you caught me, I’m a “booty man” – maybe I have flung an email or two after peeking at derriere!).. But, mostly I do so based on the smile. Smiles greatly enhance “just a minute.”

Gotta go to work now, in just a minute. Gonna go smoke a cig first, for just a minute. Mebbe I’ll getta chat with a coworker for justa minute. Maybe I’ll be able to do that wink thing.. I can give smiles – that’s cool. Or, a quick high five. I likes when folks likes me, and I likes to let folks know I like them Whistle while you work.

Loveya – back in just a minute. Victurd.

No comments: