Sunday, February 21, 2010

I am a rock………..

A winter's day
In a deep and dark December; (February)
I am alone,
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Global warming? It’s been a winter from hell. It’s roughly 10 hours until I must start car, shovel, scrape, pray, 2 hands (TIGHTLY) affixed to wheel/cig in mouth, slip slide away. Work beckons. I gotta.

On this day, it snowed. And snowed. And snowed. Wet. Crusty. Slushy. You name it, we got it. Watched weather channel shortly before 5pm “and the snow should hit again around 7pm, but I think it might get here earlier.” Looked out window. It never had stopped!

Tarkio College. Back in dinosaur days, usedta coach women’s college basketball here locally. Had to play Tarkio twice a year. Their place. Our place. This was around the time when women’s/girl’s basketball (finally) cranked up in full force. Tarkio sat near the Iowa border, Iowa girls had been playing for years. So, you know the rest. They kicked our ass each and every time we played ‘em. Thinking of the drive into work tomorrow has me revisiting the knots in my tummy of having to play Tarkio. “Don’t wanna, but gotta.” Damnit.


I've built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

No no no Simon, Art. That ain’t me. Remember? My ceiling LEAKS! (When the walls.. come tumble-ing down).. I LOVE my fiends - but ok, admit, I have perhaps demonstrated fortress that can be tough to penetrate. I LOVE love. I’m a rock only in that I plant my fatass here… On this internet island.

Don't talk of love,
But I've heard the words before;
It's sleeping in my memory.
I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Love. Hmmmm.. Ain’t sure feelings ever die do they? One walked, the other doinked their way out - feelings for each! Sure. Rock? Stoneface mebbe. Island, fer sure.

I have my books (Internet)
And my poetry to protect me; (Blog)
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Hiding in my room? Avoidance behavior? Color me………. Guilty! I touch no one ‘cause have you ever tried dating at this God-forsaken age?

And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.

Life is pretty pain free. Not perfect, but still, very very enjoyable. I’ve cried, and I’m very thankful for that. Again, the hell’s the use in being here if you ain’t never felt?

Please Mr. Custer, I don’t wanna go-oh-oh (to work.)
But I must. Alarm set an hour early. (Checkenginelight Garage Door broke, thus, the rear wheel drive ß shitty in snow, 1999 Dodge Van sits in driveway.) Mebbe 7 inches now. It ain’t letting up anytime soon. Tarkio. Knots. Brrrrrrrr.. Sheeee-ittt. Have to’s.

I’m notta rock.. I feel pain (but again, life - it’s good)…
I ain’t an island, ‘cause I do cry. It’s blessed, admittedly, any day we wake up. Sorry, I ain’t real hootin’ tootin’ excited about waking up tomorrow. Brrrrrrrrr.

“GO AHEAD, GIMME THAT DIRTY LOOK!… I MIGHT GO FITTEEN MILES AN HOUR SLOWER THAN EVERYONE ELSE… BUT I MAKE IT!”… Oh Tarkio. Damnit.

Happy sliding. Be safe. Write the number of two tow services down before ya head out. If you have a working garage door, I hate your guts. Jk.

A winter’s day… in a deep and dark February…….. Love, Victurd.

No comments: