Monday, September 28, 2009

Living today for visions of tomorrow…..

Reap what you sow…. We are what we eat….

Mickey D’s, 5:02am today. Quickly went over the KC Chief’s 34-14 drubbing. Learned that KC’s coach, pretty much a hothead, has had reality sink in and he’s indicated he understands he needs to control/watch his emotions.

Super Zack. Attended the Royal’s game yesterday. Images of yesteryear when the entire crowd got on their feet when Zack had a batter with two strikes… Talented the young man is.

Then (after reading about Super Zack’s performance) read the remaining pages of the newspaper, yes, including the obits.

If you have chance, and you’re reading this 9/28/09, it’s worth it for you to sink 75 cents into onea those blue machines and buy today’s paper. The “Tribute” is fun. The Tribute is a relaxed form of an obituary, that tells a little bit more about the person.

It’s a look back. It’s “what we’re left with” once we’re gone. It’s today’s vision, of yesterday’s living.

Person today, Dorothy Fox, 79. “She wasn’t a boring woman.” Intrigued I was at that header… Among the more fascinating things of this woman’s life:

Her mom died when she was 5. Her military father was absent from her life. Raised by widowed grandmother. “She cared nothing of rules.”

Joined Air Force. Married, had child. Returned to KC, hubby scooted. Dated a guy for 4 years.. dinner at the Savoy.. she asked the waiter “do you think this guy should marry me”.. Waiter replied “he’d be a fool not to.” Days later, they drove to Miami, OK, tied knot.

Embraced the beatnik lifestyle spending time in coffeehouses reciting poetry to a bongo beat. Wrote a limerick for each girl at birth. Told her kiddos the ice cream truck that rolled thru the neighborhood sold fish sticks. Kids couldn’t understand why other kids lined up to get a fish stick.

Took her daughter’s belly dancing – and too participated in the classes. Believed prostitution and marijuana should be legalized. Liked to tell dirty jokes. Strong opinions didn’t make her judgmental, her door was always open.

“Now that she’s gone, the world is quieter” said daughter.

Oh yes - but, I LOVE this lady and I never got the privilege to meet her. Her vision of today was built by her living yesterdays.. and my does it sound like she lived them.

I don’t propose anyone follow in the footsteps of anyone – but what I so enjoyed about this article- is that she lived life the way she wanted to…. didn’t swim in the mainstream.. and seemingly cared little if others perhaps didn’t agree with ‘her way.’

Leftfield. I love leftfield, and coming from. At the Royals game yesterday – I got to sit by my cousin – she’s the same age as my deceased sister. The game was actually FUN. It was “Bark at the Park” day. Dogs could come, but you hadta buy them a ticket (which went to various animal ‘causes).. Some had Royal’s shirts, hats, sunglasses on.. Some barked, some wagged, yes, some peed/pooped. Fun. Leftfield.

After Greinke’d worked his way out of a bases loaded no-out jam.. we’d been on our feet for three batters, ceremoniously clapping in anticipation of him getting out of it.. exhaustion set in as the last out was made, the batter pounded his bat into the ground in disgust… we sunk into our chairs… and I told ‘cous ‘if my dad were here, he’d say “Ok, buy I’m NOT staying for the fireworks” (it was a day game.).. My father’s vision of his living yesterday.

We tailgated before and after the game. My cousin’s g-kids included a little 3 yr curly headed blonde, and a darker haired little 3 yr old gal.. Spttin’ images of my cousin and my sister 50+ years ago. They’d sneak off as far as they could sneak… “GET BACK HERE”… they’d then grab a handful of BBQ chips, walk over to the side of the car, spit ‘em out to see who could make the biggest “glob.” Visions of today, yet, perhaps vicariously coming thru the living of my sister, my cousin in yesteryear. (Sister once got a brand new fancified doll house for Christmas.. dolls weren’t really her thing. Huge. Made of tin. Cousin and sister soon fetched it to the backyard where they, age 4 or 5, smashed it to smithereens. Living yesterday, visions for today.)

I have led a far, far from perfect life. However, I consider myself so very lucky. At times, I’ve dared to come from leftfield. I never wanna hurt anyone, but some things I do/say, and I don’t givea chit what others think. I have fun. Life is fun. My only hope is, someday, once I’m gone – people might ‘see’ my ‘tribute’ and simply smile. That’d be the greatest honor ever bestowed upon me. A simple smile. For I’ve smiled hella along the way to get there.

Peace out… bounce to the pace of the bongo... do something “Dorothy-like”.. smile, have fun.. fill the half full glass… toast a toast.. and enjoy….. love, Victurd

No comments: