Saturday, June 21, 2008

Well, I was born in a small town

And I live in a small town
Prob'ly die in a small town
Oh, those small communities

I love this town. ‘Recognizable.’ The streets, the old houses, the college, the schools. Remember when we had was just one blinking redlight? (I know go thru 8 stoplights JUST to get to Interstate.)

All my friends are so small town
My parents live in the same small town
My job is so small town
Provides little opportunity

My friends are small town, and I don’t mean that derogatorily at all. Needa hand, they’re there. They’re old school, honest, nice, and have incredible memories about yesterday…

Educated in a small town
Taught the fear of Jesus in a small town
Used to daydream in that small town
Another boring romantic that's me

Well Mr. John Mellencamp and I differ some here. I wasn’t “Taught the fear of Jesus in a small town.” Parents very liberal, wanted us to make our own decisions, which was cool. I was educated in this small town. Wonderful. You knew EVERYONE. Still do remember their names, faces, where they lived, what their folks did.

Education in this small town was the best. Everyone attended Friday night HS football games, everyone came to the basketball games. Everyone attended the City’s 4th of July display. Overflow crowds parking in the grass were the norm.

I've seen it all in a small town
Had myself a ball in a small town
Married an L.A. doll and brought her to this small town
Now she's small town just like me

Seen it all like going UP the steps to the Court House in a Jeep. Parties. Field parties. Parades. Nights at “The Koo Koo” Drive In. Watching the behemoth Kansas City Chiefs train in our small town. Eat, drink, at the same places us small town folks did. Somehow they fit in.

No, I cannot forget where it is that I come from
I cannot forget the people who love me.
Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town
And people let me be just what I want to be.

I’ve considered moving. Would liketa try Florida. Around where I work wouldn’t be bad either. Never did it. Prolly never will.

Got nothing against a big town
Still hayseed enough to say
Look who's in the big town
But my bed is in a small town

Hayseed. For real. That’s me. I love living fairly close to “the Big City”, yet still maintaining our small town demographics, philosophies, and ways.

Well, I was born in a small town
And I can breathe in a small town
Gonna die in this small town
And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me ...

And that’s so very true. My town was lucky in that it was close to the big city, so we didn’t suffer the dramatic “I’m gonna get the hell outta here” woes that very rural small towns experience. Many dropped anchor. Ran inta one at the Piggly Wiggly tonight. Known her 46 years. Now retired longterm school teach.. “Yeah, I started me a “pet-sitter” business.. It’s going pretty well.” If I moved, crap like that wouldn’t happen.

From zero to 18 we don’t have a lotta say in where we live. After age 18, it’s a choice. I love my town. I wonder whointhehell all these new people are, and whyinthehell they need all these three-car garage houses - heck, back in my day it was one station wagon, and mom rode the bus downtown (to the Big City) when us kids needed new duds for school. Don’t get me wrong, we love people, and we’re gladta have ‘em. Truly.

Driving the bike across town at age 9 to play ball at the City Park - not a second thought of it by our parents. Opened windows at night to let the breeze flow thru, thus creating wonderful sleep. Unlocked doors.

The town characters. The Lions Club. The Bowling Alley. THE grocery store. THE gas station. THE High School. THE college. THE Drive In. The Movie Theater. We were one. Unique. Historic.

Every class reunion we get to see the ones that did slip away. Life’s interesting. It’s all about choices. I, at times, may gripe and groan, but there’s not a place on the planet I choose to be. Kinda like a good marriage I guess.

Today, I believe I counted 33 choices of where to eat. Twelve places I can buy shoes. Fifteen gas stations. Soon, a second High School. You can take Liberty (my small town) out of the country - but - you can’t take the country out of Liberty.

The Bowles, The Houstons, The Repperts, The Norris’s… family’s that been around, and are staying around. Just a few examples of the many.

Had myself a ball in a small town. It was the result after landing here. Anything past has been a choice, and one I’m glad I’ve made. Happy day, Victurd.

No comments: