Monday, August 28, 2006

With a shout out to Goldilocks......

4:30am this morning.. thanks to insomnia, coupled with going to bed at 9:30pm - I find myself ordering the All-Star breakfast at Waffle House...

No, the subject today is not "stupid". Stupid (is as stupid does) - but stupid is a Waffle House customer at 2am, not 4:30am. Today's topic is comfy. I went to the newspaper box to purchase a paper - thank goodness my needing-2.25magnification-eyeballs still recognized it was Sunday's paper (yesterday) in the box - I wasn't comfy with that.

So in I went... Feller seated at end of counter nodded.. Nice chicky greeted me with cup of coffee and a smile.. I'm reading the portion of the Sunday paper I had tucked away in my car that I hadn't read yet... and nice chicky peeks out window - sees pickemup truck with a half dozen yeller lights adorning the top of the cab and says with somewhat excited regularity "Here comes Jim!"...

Jim walks in.. appearing to be outta bed for only 7-8 minutes by now.. groans at his welcome from the nice chicky - she retorts back with "Now you just turn around and get the heck outta here if you're gonna come in all grumpy." Jim smiled, and made his way to his regular chair where his already full coffee cup awaited him.

Another walks in.. similar scenerio... I'm seated betweengst three WH male groupies - and their daily grind, ie, comfort. A chicky pulls in - there's teasing an bantering between the three - and she sits next to the 3rd groupie - seemingly regular visit - seemingly innocent. (He mentioned his wife several times in the conversation..)

We, along life's trail, simply seek comfort. Virtually all the minutes of life are either comfortable - or not. Familiarity breeds comfort. Pulled into the gas station this morning to purchase my normal $8 of gas... Uncomfortable that Annette wasn't behind the counter... Bought OJ insteada coffee as my tummy has been uncomfy - as the manager (who looked like she got dressed in two minutes, no shower after fielding Annette's "I ain't gonna make it today" phone call) rang it up I said "Oh yeah... I'd like $8 on pump one" - "we're having problems with the gas this morning.. I'm sorry.. I've got assistance on the way." "WHAT?" This is the levelest damn drive of any gas station in town - and my Ionlygotneutraldriveandreverse vehicle LOVES coming here for it doesn't have to be harnessed ('chalked') and there are no worries about a driverless cruise and having to purchase a quarter panel for onea them fancy SUV's with the nice, uppity insignia on the center of the hood.

So, I drive to work on "E". Shit. Go the normal one-lane-each-way highway, still dark, GD pickemup truck (no, not Jim) right behind with his headlights (of course) 6 inches over the top of my trunk and blaring right into my rear view mirror. Uncomfy. Bastard passes me, even more uncomfy. There've been a few 'dead ends' on that road when cars go over the centerline...

Checkenginelight comes on, I'm back to comfy - but I do wonder "WTF? When it goes off, does that mean I ain't gotta check it?" I play my comfy radio station, I go my comfy 291 to 210 to 435 to 71 way.. I drink my OJ to try to provide comfort to my belly.

As I drive - was thinking abouta chicky at work who said her 2nd grade son cried and cried the first day of school 'cause he was new to district and the familiarity bond just wasn't there. "He'll be fine.. being a teacher back in the dinosaur days - I can tell you there are people/teachers/staff that will pickup on that.. and before long he'll be 'special'." Comfy, we all need comfy.

Comfy kinda makes you proud of the pioneers who emblazoned - and usurped comfy to create/find a 'new' comfort for themselves. Inventors who aren't comfy with some things in life being status quo. Military men and women who trade their own comfort so we back home can have comfort and freedom. For those non-meek folks in situations who have the nads to stand up and say "I'm not comfy with that."

Pedicure/manicure.. backrubs... 7-up and crackers.. greetings.. forwarded emails... car in same spot - starting expectedly every time.. familiar faces.. an answered phone call and hearing the recognizable voice say "well HI so-and-so"... Sleep number beds.. We really are creatures of habit. (Habit, for a nun, is comfy.) Hehe.

Not too comfy: Driving rental cars in unfamiliar territory.. Your normal route - huh uh - road closed.. That face you woke up to for years and years and years no longer being there... First time to wear a thong, now I think that would be uncomfy. (Wonder if a nun has ever worna thong?) A loose Rottweiler on the block.. overhearing (for the third time in a day) a co-worker bitching to another co-worker about this-n-that... The GD 7-16th inch socket being gone when you need a GD 7-16th inch socket.. Being forced to do something you don't wanna do.. Seeing a friend hellbent on doing something that you happen to think is not in their best interest - and you fight to stay silent... Uncomfy.

Comfortble in my own skin. Financially comfortable. (Not me, - the saying.) Comfortable bed. Comfy slippers. Comfy sex. (Is it ever uncomfy?) I'm gonna go get comfy. Comfortable music. Your hometown downtown Square. USA Today on a road trip. That favorite living room chair that has long since memorized the shape and weight of your butt. I'm comfy with that.

Ok, it's 7am, I've killed two-and-a-half of the three-and-a-half hours of my awakedness until the work bell tolls. I'm going to go visit in my good friend Leon's office. It's a daily thing - smiles, banter, personal updates, gossip (I don't repeat gossip - so listen close the first time.) et al. Leon's office is my (and three others) morning "Waffle House."... Quoting Goldi, it's juuuuuuust right... Are you comfy with that? Happy day, bye bye now, love, Victurd.

No comments: