Saturday, August 19, 2006

Dear Heaven.....

Hi mom, dad, Vanda…

I know you’re having a blast – and I miss you so… Down here on earth – you live on. I try like crazy to spread bits and pieces of your sense of humor… Occasionally I slip – but for the most part – I try to emulate you in enjoying each and every day here – and to not get too stressy over much of anything.

Vanda, dad: the ’93 Taurus still goes. In fact, I do this blog thing and it’s entitled after the nifty mobile. I think of you each and every time my hands touch where yours did.

Post-funerals: again, you live on. There’s not a day I wake up I don’t “see” you. Not a day goes buy I don’t yearn to hug you. While my life is kinda-sorta mundane – there’s been so many times I’ve wanted to pickup the phone and share things with you. Your grandson “Maynard” – he’s a damn fine lookin’ kid if I do say so myself. He’s gotta great laugh – and lo and behold – he’s gotta job.

Vanda – your girls are awesome mom’s – and your grandkids are awesome kids. Sure, I’m biased – but, I also don’t lie. They are neat, neat kids.

I’ve been thru two marriages now (7 years, 24 years), countless internet dates (I’ll explain that one – one day when I hopefully get up there)… and I’ve met some really, really nice people. I love where I work – I have the workload for 1.4 people – but that’s the way (uh huh uh huh) I like it (uh huh uh huh).

In 1996, my incredibly average athletic career ended when I lost the vote to continue playing slowpitch 1-1.

Went to the Mill this summer – and again, I “saw” you. Vanda, you were telling a story and held everyone’s attention – I don’t know if I ever told you this – but I think you have the most beautiful smile I’ve ever seen. Dad – you were napping on the back deck to the sound of the waterfall whooshing through. Mom, you were in the kitchen with your sister and Eileen – talking about the days shortly after the war..

Please don’t be upset – but I cried like a baby when each of you departed. I hope you know it simply means how much you meant to me – how lucky I felt to have had you as a mother, father, sister - and how deeply I miss you. Life is still good – but it’s just not the same without you. Mom, I use your advice (every day) of “the secret to success is how you deal with Plan B.” Boy do I miss Plan A though.

Again, you’re “still here”. I often think to myself “what would my dad do in this instance?”… Or, “what would mom write right here?”.. Or, “can I conjure up some kinda prank on one I love like Vanda woulda?”

I hope heaven is as good as advertised. I’ve nothing to compare it to – but I will tellya Maui was pretty damn awesome – I hope it’s like that – if that’s what you like.. Just wanted to write and say thinking of you…

Love… forever… Victurd… (Dad, remember it was YOU who penned that nickname on me!)

No comments: