Friday, August 18, 2006

King of the Wild Frontier...

Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee... Maynard, as a child, loved the lore of Davy Crockett... We had the movie on video - and he'd watch it over and over and over again...

One day we were discussing this legend.. and Maynard asked how he died... "Well son, he was killed in his heroic effort at the Alamo against Mexican forces as he helped bring Independence for Texas. "HE DID NOT... HE DIDN'T DIE... COME ON DAD, WATCH THE MOVIE WITH ME, I'LL SHOW YOU SO."...

So one day we did... The entire story about Davy.. growing up... his coonskin cap... "Old Betsy" the infamous rifle...

After the real good parts of the old movie... the Battle of the Alamo wasn't going too well.. As the closing credits to the movie began - Davy - encircled by literally hundreds of Santa Anna troups - was swinging his machete wildly in spirit - and his end was presumed. "SEE DAD, I TOLD YA HE DIDN'T DIE" as the credits ended - never focusing on Davy's eventual doom. "I TOLD YA."

So... all this crap began when the check engine light came on. It likened life. My car was my sister's. My sister passed of breast cancer in 1999. She had given it to my father. My father passed in 2003. He's given it to me. The spirit of Davy Crockett lives in it..

No AC. One-third of the bumper broken off. Checkenginelight on. Brake light on - sometimes. I have drive, reverse and neutral. No park. (Was in a store the other night - I hadn't wedged anything in under the tire... clerk hollers out "HEY, that car is moving and there's no one in it!".. GULP, I knew whose it was - and I managed to stop it before it did any damage.

Driver's side visor fell off. Fan switch for heat/defrost works on 2 of the 6 settings.

Friends I haven't seen in awhile say "MAN... you still got that thing?"... "Vic, you need to spend some money and get something valuable.".. "When you get in it, do you worry about it making it to work?"

IT'S NOT DYING. I SWEAR IT'S NOT. THIS MOVIE AIN'T OVER. THE '93 TAURUS - THE SPIRIT OF DAVY CROCKETT - VANDA - BUD - IT AIN'T ENDING. Screw Santa Anna, screw anyone who thinks "Oh my God" when they see it.

I dunno how long Davy stood atop that little hill wielding off the Mexican troups. This wonderfully ugly, mechanical rat-trap, spiritually gifted car of mine keeps going. It's my only way to feel like I'm 'touching' them.

Have a great day - and wrap them arms around the ones ya love, Victurd

No comments: