Thursday, March 10, 2022

Setting the clocks ............

It'd be a fine ole thing if we could set our clocks back Sunday to our Senior year in high school.  Eh, why not dream?

What would you do?  First thing we could do is make us a list, a list of those that today, it's impossible to see, talk, visit with them. We could run up and lay a big ole hug on 'em.  They might say "Whatsup with that?"   Can't tellya, just know, we REALLY love you!

The next Friday night.  After dinner, we could go sit on the sofa.  At some point, our parents might ask "Aren't you going out tonight?  You always go out on Friday and Saturday nights?"   Nope, I want to spend it with you. Hey, please tell me what life was like when you were a Senior in High School....... Hey dad, if you smoke your pipe, would you use that Cherry tobacco?  That was, er, I mean, that is my favorite!

Then we should go jump, because we could again!  Then, run....run a hunnerd yards because we ain't done that in awhile.  A pull-up, hell to the yes, a pull-up. 

We could go grab the phone book.  WOW.  Look at this!  All our friends are in here!  It doesn't matter if we break our phone, lose it, drop it in the pool, No cause for alarm, we've still got all my friends numbers. We can call 'em one by one (and there ain't no chance of losing the phone 'cause the cord is hooked to the phone which is hooked to the wall!) Thank goodness we didn't graduate when AOL hogged all the phone lines!

Me? I'd go run to the mirror.  The full length mirror.  Damn you look good!  (Editor's note, not saying I, me, I'm saying 50+ years has changed all of us just a tad, OK, much.  Refreshing to see the you, looking good.)

You? I'd run to the backyard and play fetch for hours with my hound Gabe.  I won't tell him either.

Then, we could fill our cars up for $4.80, meet up on the Hill of the Methodist Church. Just sit up there for a while to lookout at God's handiwork - and say thanks.  Yeah!  And we could make shadows when it gets dark! Then, I think one of us should say, "Ya know, I think we all realize we were 70 or thereabouts and we set the clock back to age 18 or thereabouts - what would you do, workwise, the rest of your life? I'm certain some would say "nothing different", others maybe "I'd be more concerned to find a labor of love, so to speak, and smile my way to 'Winter'. "  Yeah, me too.

We could all save 10% for the resta our lives and no touchy!

We'd drive up to Billy Jewell, avoiding the 'squirrels' and hunt down Lenny, Buck, Bobby, EJ, Hank, et al, and high five 'em in advance of their 1970 Super Bowl win!

We could run get me a mug of root beer at Mug's Up for a nickel....  cross the street and snatch a Peanut Buster Parfait at Dairy Queen, "Hey, they don't cost $4.72"!

Toss our swimsuits in the car, swing by Repperts to see if the flag is up...if it ain't, we'd drive by The KuKu, then the Square, then the KuKu, then the Square, you get the idea.  It's gonna be so great to honk and wave at every other car again!

OH!  I forgot!  I'd run, hop on the scale!  YEAH BABY, that's what I'm talking about!

Maybe  snow ski again?  Or go sledding.  Or, play a game of FULL COURT basketball!

You know.. .all them gals.. all them gals you, we thought, 'man, you're a pretty thing' but never told 'em.. we oughta run up to them at school and tell 'em!

We should run up to Grundy, Mr. Franck, Mr. Stevick, Mr. Dawkins, Ms. Allen, (or whoever were your favorites) tell 'em just how great they were in our lives as a role model. Don't think we ever told 'em.

Nap?  ARE YOU CRAZY?  We've got all this energy!  Let's hop in the trunk and go to the Drive In!  Hey, it's only 50 cents.. oh yeah, right, we'll jump in the backseat then.  I still ain't buying one of those hamburgers that's been under the heat lamp for three days though.

Oh yeah.. we could walk around the Square.. grab a vanilla phosphate at Beggs, some some cinnamon oil from Breiphol, then, run in Boggess.  Hey, I'll bet you a quarter if I ask the lady in there to grab a 1 1/2 inch carriage bolt, she'll look at the hunnerd plus drawers behind her and march right to the correct one.  I won't bet a quarter, but a dime sounds good... you're on!    DANG!   Toldya!

Hi Woody!  Hi Mr. Bortko!  Hi Mr. Mace!

GRANDMA AND GRANDPA!  GOT to make a road trip while we still can!  Can only hope she's got a piece of banana cream pie on the stove in the living room.

Hey, wanna go see the Royals?  Man, I dunno, they're not very good.  Yeah but.. it's cheap to get in.  We can park in a yard for $2.  Do they still have the rabbit that brings the balls up outta the ground to the umpire?  BRYANTS!  Before or after, doesn't matter to me!

We'd better get back home. I mean home home, 2022.  Eh, spoil sport, but you're right, maybe we oughta.

HEY!  You guys never even kissed anyone?

Ahm, this is just a brief outline of SOME of the things we did when we went back in time.  Remember, ya ain't sposedta kiss and tell, either before or during the days of social media.  Our lips are sealed.  Eh, ok.

I call shotgun!

When we get back, I sure hope cancer is cured... Ukraine is safe.. both political parties work together..  the pandemic is in the past.. 

WAIT!  I forgot to get a 300 burger!  They are STILL open today, 2022, you can get one when we get back.

By Henry Gibson..       Forward by P. Casper Harvey... Photos by Marcel.

Love, Victurd

No comments: