Saturday, November 24, 2018

High five.. Victory lap.. Crank the music... Dance!

Of course... those are all things one does when one is happy

What about whenya ain't? What do you do when you're down?

Holidays are a magical time - but for many, it is a time filled with sadness, self-reflection, loneliness and anxiety.

Causes? What makes one person feel sad may not affect another person, but typically:
Stress
Fatigue
Unrealistic expectations
Financial Stress
Loss of a loved one
Personal health issues
Inability to be with one's family and friends..
(And many, many other reasons)...

I write this for several reasons. One, sure, I can get down.. Two, I believe others can get down... and Three, while I personally can't offer answers, I can sureasheck Google and see if I can help you (and me.)

Ideas on what to do when one is down thanks to "Lifehack":

Get up and move
Surround yourself with people you love (If distance is an issue, call, text, email, mail a letter)
Find a way to laugh
Stop being so hard on one's self (remember, happiness is a choice)
Take deep breaths (I like this one. Sure, sounds silly. I take my blood pressure almost daily. If I don't like the results, I force myself to sit in my easy chair and do exactly that - take deep breaths. You'd be amazed the difference in blood pressure readings after 10 or 15 minutes......)

Spend time with animals, they're therapeutic and smart.
Do something spontaneous and exciting (road trip to see a friend, favorite store to treat yourself to a new outfit, volunteer at a homeless shelter.)
Read something insprirational (and for sure, the Bible would be included)
Get some work done. (This one's hard for me.. I sit, I look at my apartment. I bemoan it's condition. I go to bed, wake up the next day, the woes grow, and I repeat. I do know it makes me feel better when I spic and span the joint.)

Buzzfeed relates:
Be nice to yourself. Eat well. Remember to take a break. Write down all the reasons it was worth getting out of bed and look back at these lists. Remember that you are awesome in your own right. Give a hug, get a hug. Get some sleep! Disconnect, get off the internet. Don't forget to breathe, and remember: You are doing a good job!

Yesterday was a "Jane, you ignorant slut" day for me. I allowed someone to get me down. My reaction to what happened was my very own fault. Yes, this person was ugly, but I didn't handle it well, and uh huh, it got me down, er, I allowed it to get me down... thus, another reason for small research today.

Simple ideas, but they make such sense. Sorry this ain't been fun, funny - but if one tip helps any of us - worth the keystrokes.

Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas,

Victor

No comments: