Monday, June 18, 2018

I read the news today, oh boy........

Well, that's a lie... I watched the news.. Then I binged Facebook... Then I went and took an Alka-Seltzer.

Posts still rolling in about Father's Day... National Day Calendar shows today to be National Splurge Day, as well as National Go Fishing Day.. Dads, go for it... Prospective dads, it's 363 days until Father's Day.. the average length of human gestation is 280 days, so hubba-hubba (but you still gotta few days to splurge, fish)...

Life expectancy for dudes is 76.3, for dudettes 81.3... so, get your calculators out, subtract, figure what you've got left - then, go, do, smile (or not), have fun (or not), splurge (or not), fish (ain't me, I'm going golfing)... Victor, you spout out all that info like you expect the average blog reader to "sit at attention" when you speak. Ahm, no, this is a recording, I do this FOR ME, hitchhikers welcome.

Justa reminder to put it all in perspective.

The basic thought, I've found, in retirement is "you know, I do wanna do that, but I think I'll do it tomorrow." Victor, get off your butt, periodically peek at that calculator - then figure out how/what you wanna do with what time you have.

Yeah but.. there are no yeah buts.. yeah but - look at my savings - there's more days than dollars... listen here 'crappie-breath', there's tons you can do without spending many buckaroos. Borrowing from that chipmunk Alvin "OOOOHHHHHH KKKKKK", then I'll splurge, I'll go fishing(golfing) but I ain't gonna be a daddy again.. Shooting blanks there Victor? Well yeah, that, and.. ahm.. well.. no takers.. hehe. So, is this where you write something stupid like "I guess I can still get a hole in one?".. Mebbe.

I am pretty sure I learned something about tomorrow yesterday (Victor, can you use the words 'tomorrow' and 'yesterday' consecutively to make sense? Well, it makes sense to me, I dunno about you. More. Tell me more.

OK. People posted things about their Fathers. I saw "larger than life." "A man of patience." "Would help a friend in need or a total stranger, patience of a saint.".. "Incredible man.".... "Count my blessings every day that my father is still around, I try to treasure each moment with him."

Yeah.. and what else?

"Quit school at 8th grade to help support his mother and two sisters when their father left them during the depression - we knew he loved us and was very proud of his family."... "taught junior high math in the inner city and you have a man who made a mark on this world."...

"Talked the talk but most importantly walked the walk."... "Loved his kids and his grandkids, and any child around."... "Never turned away a friend of mine that needed a job."... "unquestionable confidence irrepressible"... "Exceedingly loyal.".. "Bought a farm stead in Liberty after the war and had 11 babies with the love of his life."

"Never met a stranger." "One word comes to mind, LOVE."... "He had more friends than I'll ever know."... "My relationships with him were parent-child, adult-adult, business partner-mentor and mostly friend-to-friend, I miss him greatly."

"War vet, printer, coach, and always a father." "Marine, union man, all American football player." "With three boys, he had to discipline but he was always there with a velvet glove to place on our shoulder when we needed it."

So Victor, what'd you learn yesterday about today/tomorrow?

Well, I learned there ain't much above said about bank accounts, climbing corporate ladders, the size of the home you live in... it seems all those people, it wasn't about "what do you think of me" it was more, "I think of you." Didn't Kennedy say something kinda similar? Yeah, I think he did.

Examples. Thank you friends for the examples. In addition to that dreaded calculation on "how much time is left", I reckon we should keep our father figures in the backa our mind too.

I read the news today, oh boy....

Yeah but.. VICTOR, there you go again. Yeah but, maybe tomorrow ain't as messed up as it appears if we can only partially live up to, replicate yesterday.

"You know, I do wanna do that (alla the wonderful role model goodies above), but I think I'll do it tomorrow, I think I'll spurge, go fishing (golfing) today."

I give up. NO DON'T! Is that another 'yeah but'?

Yeah but, I'll get my calculator and role model illustrations out tomorrow, a promise. It's National Splurge/Fish (Golf) day.

Have a great day, and even greater tomorrows.....

Love, Victurd


No comments: