Tuesday, December 18, 2018

You can't always get what you want..........

My two front teeth, my two front teeth.

A Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred Shot Range Model Air Rifle...

I saw her today at the reception...

A beachfront condo........ for life....

A bucket fulla money to go, do, attain, them there things on the bucket list...

A new (phone, car, house, refrigerator freezer, furnace, laptop, job, boss, set of undies, bed, furniture, girlfriend, boyfriend, wardrobe, a metric scale - "how much do you weigh?" - "I dunno, but this one makes me happy", dog, cat, friend, lover, roommate, outlook, facelift, waistline, buttlift, tummylift, uplift).....

But, but, but....

We don't have a chimney? And... uh huh, there are times, ahm.. there are times, ahm, I've been bad.. ain't no way he can make it around the globe in 24 hours... how come Santa and mom have the same wrapping paper?... Why doesn't he get a stomachache from all the milk and cookies?.. How come you guys (mom/dad) don't sit on Santa's lap? How's he know what you want? "My little (sister/brother) can't talk, and does nuttin' but cry on Santa's lap - yet, Santa always gets him/her the toys he/she seemingly wants? SMH, whatsup with that?"...

Bottom-line, me thinks it's ok to be a tad selfish, inquisitive, AND wondrous at Christmas.

Much (can and often does) go wrong.. Your folks this year, my folks next year.. You'll be at our house for Christmas Eve, then your dad will pick you up and take you to his house for Santa to bring you presents at his house on Christmas.. Bad weather.. Flight delays.. Lost suitcases filled to the gills with presents that will now be handed out 12/27..

I think.. over the years.. I've wanted most all of the above.. and have had happened, most of the above...

I remember the best ones.. a ballglove.. a transistor radio.. a new bike... your favs?

It took me many a year to realize what I really want for Christmas each and every year, and as luck would have it, each and every year I've gotten them..... tears.

Happy tears..  Christmas is eternal..  There will always be new highchairs..  It's OK to cry to the excitement of the little ones, awakening you at 5am, then creating a six minute whirlwind of strewn wrapping paper, Legos to step on, parts to complete the big toy found hours later amongst the trash...the happy hours that follow, watching them playing, expounding their built up energy..

Sad tears.. Sorry Argentina, it's ok for us to cry because of the empty chairs, the loved ones now in Heaven above..

Life is ne'er perfect, but it can be perfect for us..

No, you can't always get what you want......

But if you try sometime, you find, you get what you need...

Peace on Earth, goodwill to men... and tears, maybe the best gift ever...

Love, Victurd

No comments: