Saturday, November 11, 2017

Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.

Somea' the below stolen, and ain't notated whotheheck said it. No likey? Sue me!

"Go forth to meet the shadowy future without fear and with a manly heart. Don't look back, there is nothing in past, look into the future and win it. Don't waste your time looking back at what you've lost. Move on, life is not meant to be traveled backwards."

"Looking back isn't going to help you. Moving forward is the thing you have to do."

"It's not possible to go forward while looking back."

"Ever since I've made tomorrow my favorite day, I've been uncomfortable looking back."

Wait... Stymie halt... Just a gol' durn moment.

I disagree.

Sure, ya can't make any progress if you waller in a pool of jello all your life, but I'm of the ilk ya take your spoon out, scoop up, sample some of that delectable yesteryear - all the while "matriculating" down the field of life. Them past objects ARE large in life.

Woven. Quilts. Fabric.

A very pretty lady that I once upon a time lived with, slept with (her and her dog, it's cool, he's a fantastic little dude)... anyways, we were covered up with --> this lady's daughter made her a quilt out of T Shirts she'd worn from yesteryear. Places she'd traveled to, joints where she'd fed her face, places of employ, schools she'd attended.. and fun sayings that brought smile in recollect.

THAT'S what I'm talkin' about. Hell to the yes. Yesterday, with maybe pushing it thru the old kitchen strainer, is YUMMY.

This retirement. This Facebook. This box of old photos. I've selfishly plant myself in the easy chair, a throw atop me, a furnace set at 59 degrees, (bite me, fixed income), wooly slippers, TV on but ignored, feet plopped on the ottoman - and I divulge. I laugh. I smile. I emote. I cry. I love. YESTERDAY is the thread, the patch, the weaving, the quilt, of life.

To me anyways. Sure, there's ugly. (One of my favorite ugly quotes is from back in the day the Los Angeles Lakers would come to town to play the NBA team we in Kansas City had for a millisecond, The Kings. Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Sam Lacey, centers for those corresponding teams - had some wonderful, hard fought, sweaty battles over the years. It was the day and age "the beeper" was our social media. Anyways, Kareem, on a flight leaving LAX headed for MCI said "Watchout Sam, I'm coming to knock some of the ugly off your face." HA, fun, and yes, sorry/not, a part of yesteryear, why even ugly can be a fun memory!)

Looking back affords hounds, cats that are buried in the backyard to once again be puppies, kittens. Yesterday fills the Thanksgiving table up, fills the chairs of those now gone that we desperately miss.

As I occasionally cuss at my far, far away toenails that need clipping, but the belly donelapped over, and the flexibility has gone from very good to the present stiff board... where was I? Oh yeah.. bemoaning old age, body change, but it ALLOWS me to remember sledding down the biggest damn hill at William Jewell next to a herd of Flanigans. I can go back to Ridgeview and remember "I ain't real sure what's come over me, going on, but damn she's pretty." Hey, I remember when I usedta be able to slide! Not only going first to second, but down the entire length of the slip-n-slide! Hell, I once climbed that tree over there! Remember cross country? Running 2 miles, REALLY FAST? (Well, to me fast anyways.)

Speakin' o' Cross Country. Doc wouldn't pass me for physical to play football, long/short/oblong/ha story. Close your ears, I had one testicle that was bigger than the other, he feared if I got hit, I'd neva' eva' be able to be a dad. Ha. ("Object in the mirror", oh, nevermind!) So, I ran cross country. I was a Freshman. There was no Freshman team or JV, so EVERYONE ran varsity. I was so damn proud after my first race, I burst in the living room to tell mom/dad "I FINISHED 52ND!" They, remaining in their comfy chairs, barely looking up, said (ho-humly) "yeah?" HA. PLEASE don't take the wrong, I HAD THE BEST (I'm biased) parents ever. It was simply a fun moment from... oh yeah, yesteryear.

I CAN DRIVE! YUM! From crawl, to bearwalk, to walk, to run, to skateboard, to bike/training wheels, to pedaling allover the damn town to I CAN DRIVE! Yep, it's yesterday, but I'll NEVER forget that '61 Chevy Biscayne. (And I even forgot to mention the, probably worth thousands of dollars now, baseball cards that I/we affixed to our bike spokes with clothespins to make really cool 'puttering/motorlike' sounds as we pedaled.)

"Go forth to meet the shadowy future without fear and with manly heart. Don't look back, there is nothing in the past."..... Manly's ass, there's all kinds of good stuff in the past.

Life, to me anyways, likens Netflix in that you can go back, stream, any damn age, era, friend, loved one, pet, car, food, movie, memory you have. Is "Shit" French? Pardon my French, the past is good shit, I'm gonna 'bingewatch' for awhile.

"Looking back isn't going to help you. Moving forward is the thing you have to do." I'm a simpleton, and I ain't afeared to admit that. My first thought, when rereading those two sentences was "Hogwash." Tweren't real sure what Webster says about 'hogwash' so I ran up the hill to Wllliam Jewell where I usedta to all my research back in the day, got halfway up the hill and said "to hell with that, I'll Google it." SWILL. SLOP. NONSENSE. BALDERDASH. (YOU tell 'em, I'll pat ma' foot!).. YESTERDAY IS YUMMY! Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away.

1985 Royals? 1969 Chiefs (I'm old, I remember.) 2015 Royals? FORGET ABOUT IT, don't look back!

Victor, you dumbass, tomorrow is where it's at.

Yes, yes. Correct you are. However, tomorrow soon becomes yesterday. Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.

To me, that's damn yummy.

Enjoy the day, and yesterday, love Victurd.

No comments: