Wednesday, December 03, 2014

The ups.

There was a time in my life when hearing "Like I said" was fingernails on the chalkboard, drumsticks on the aluminum trash can lid. All that said, scraped, ratta tat tatted, like I said, I write to me, for me, hitchhikers welcome.

Life is full of emotion. Moods. The blahs. The good, the bad, the ugly, the "oh baby". Our eyes, ears, hearts, bellies, breaths are intertwined like a car battery getting amps... or not. (Eww, that comparison reeked of "You might be a redneck!").. We're "after coffee", "after booze", "after a rough day". "After a letdown." The 'after', affects our moods.

Thank goodness, for every splinter, spill, fall, failure, fender-bender, speeding ticket, overdraft, broken bone, illness, breaking news yuck story, loss of a loved one - we counter all those by the wonder of 'the ups'. I love 'the ups.'

The first time you hold that baby in your arms. The moment you hold your breathe after seeing their VERY FIRST step. That feel you get when you've taken the training wheels off, pushed for 30 yards - you let go - and, 'the ups' happen.

My two year old grandson. Just about every time I go to his house, first thing he does is run, get his shoes - come up to me and mutter beggingly "paaarrrrkk?" He remembers the fun we have. I love that. I get 'the ups'. (And I feel horrible we live in a climate where there are long stretches it's too dadgum cold to go to the park.)

The school play, 'their line' - preparation before supper, after supper, on the way to school. Finally, it happens - their line. You watch proudly, you pray it goes well, it's said and done, and done well. Their eyes seek you, find you, 'the ups'.

Last year, at our company Christmas dinner - having had a dreadful 4th quarter (but wonderful year) we hoped/prayed/crossed fingers enough $$'s could be squeaked out in bonus we could buy our loved ones Christmas. We were all literally floored when our President announced an amount that not only allowed us to buy a nice Christmas, but an amount allowing us to buy a damn good one. My buddy, her spouse laid off a good chunk of the year, after hearing, started crying. "The ups" got her, and I loved it.

At a wedding awhile back, the very beautiful bride - a graceful lady who never ever wanted the spotlight - had it shown on her as she was asked to repeat the vows. She started shivering, quivering, stammering - shaking. My first reaction was to breathe in, breathe out in attempt to somehow give this beautiful lady some breath - but my second reaction was "how much this means to her". And I found comfort. She wonderfully gathered herself, finished remarkably, and EVERYONE there - got 'the ups'.

I fall in love too damn easily, it's demonstrated. As a tradeoff, I get 'the ups' very easily. The Royals in October afforded many of those. A surprising, wonderfully orchestrated flash mob gives me 'the ups'. Sometimes happy tears are involved, I ain't afraid to admit, and that (the tears) even makes it 'uppier'.

I love seeing postings on the social media of the father/bride in their slow, somewhat mundane, mandated father/bride dance... allofasudden have the music cranked, fast, speedy wonderful music replaces the ho-hum background music, and 'poof' a niftily choreographed twosome dance routine sends the audience to tears, cheers, laughter, and a healthy case of 'the ups'. The dad/daughter looking at one another upon completion, even 'uppier'.

I've got an old trunk in the living room, filled with 62 years of memories. Sometimes, insteada playing Sudoku, running the fridge for a chicken sandwich, insteada a nice nap... insteada watching a ballgame I really don't have a passing interest (simply to pass time) - I open this trunk.

Many of the pictures inside are of those gone. Of course that's sad, yet, looking thru them reminds me, 'takes me back', makes me well up, make me smile/laugh, remember, find joy - and have, 'the ups'.

Depression. Happens. I believe to us all, in varying degrees, sometime only for a moment for some, sometimes for a month for others. I find 'the ups' to be my own personal Wellbutrin, Paxil, Prozac, serotonin.

Gotta run. Joint I go to is having Customer Appreciation night. Earlier this summer I'd gone there, the discussion was "The Royals" and I mentioned that it was an unusual year for I hadn't made it to a Royal's game yet. Next time I went in, manager hands me a coupon for two Royal's tickets, WOW, nice! 'The ups.' Meeting buddies there, quite certain there will be some 'the ups' moments.

I could never karaoke as I always get the words messed up. How's that song go? Been down so long it looks like 'the ups' to me?

Love Victurd.


strike>

1 comment:

Lainieb317 said...

the ups definitely raise you out of the depths of life!