Tuesday, December 30, 2014

I'm positive.... I think...

Back when one was five - and one had a question - it was mom/pop to the rescue. At nine, and you needed to know something, of course you relied on the twelve year old for answers... As a wet behind the ears college Freshman, it was the good ole Dewey Decimal System (IF the reference book was stored in it's proper place.)... All of the above, sometimes hit or miss.

Today, it can be Bing, Yahoo! Search, Ask, Wow, WebCrawler, Infospace - and of course the popular standby Google. So I Googled "how to stop negative thoughts/thinking" (or something like that.. DOES IT REALLY MATTER? Oooops, sorry, slipped)..

Lemme see, here's one with 7 steps.. another with 10.. (I'm positive the one with ten would be better than the one with seven, I think.)

I like to think of myself as a positive person - but oh baby oh baby do I have my moments... thus, I write/search/seek answers... ie, to me, for me, hitchhikers welcome.

#1. Meditate or yoga. Jumping to yoga, I think of 112 lb women in overly tight spandex twisting/gyrating in ways my body never could/would, so that's out. At age 62, meditation might last me three minutes before I would fall asleep - but hey, three minutes is three minutes eh?

#2. Smile. I likes that one. Happy breeds happy. Sometimes when you see the same person in smile (all the time) you wonder "I wish I knew what he/she was drinking, or taking" but - if you meet them at 7:50am in the parking lot on a 12 degree day and you see it (their smile) it congers up "hey, maybe there is something to this." Told before my smile is more like a "SEG" (u can figure that out) - I don't care, it's me/my way to smile.

#3. Surround yourself with positive people. A tad easier to do in real life/free time - choosing.. a bit tougher when at the mercy of an HR department. (And NO KIM, I don't mean you, I KNEW you read this!)

#4. Change the tone of your thoughts from negative to positive. "We are going to have a hard time adjusting to our living situation", huh uh, think "We will face some challenges in our living situation, but we will come up with solutions that we will both be happy with."... SWEET! Lemme try, "I dunno if I will make it to work before I pee my pants", instead, I'm thinking "I might have a hard time, but if I use solutions like crossing my legs..............".. uh oh. Brb.

#5. Don't play the victim. You create your life - take responsibility. I Will always have the choice to make change happen, if need be. Ok, comprende.

#6. Help someone. Shifts the focus away from you and you do something nice for another person. Reasonable, and a good idea.

#7. Remember that no one is perfect and let yourself move forward. "I felt terrible that I acted that way and that I wasted the weekend. The only thing I can do now is learn from my mistakes and move forward."

#8. Sing. HA! Haven't they heard me? I wonder what #9 is? Ok, ok - #8 is correct. I even tried it recently - and in spite of how crappy I sounded, I liked the end result, the message, the feel, the frankness. If I was writing the article though, I might term it "#8: Sing, or, listen to professional/inspirational singers." VERY good therapy for me.

#9. List five things that you are grateful for right now. Ahm, I made it to the bathroom and there WAS one roll left... my car started first time... it's my beautiful granddaughter's 4th birthday... I actually had my first date in, well, a long time.. - ok, two years damnit... I ate breakfast at HyVee and for doing so, I got an additional 5 cents per gallon off my next fill up on the wonderfully already low gas price (see, even I can learn/spout/accentuate the positive)..

#10. Read positive quotes. Thank goodness Todd Haley is no longer our head coach. You mean like "watch your thoughts, they become words... watch your words, they become actions... watch your actions, they become habits... watch your habits, they become your character.. watch your character, it becomes your destiny"?..

(Ok the ten thing list thing was good, but, perusing the seven thing list just in case something was left out.)

"The people who are the hardest to love are the ones who need love the most." Likes that too, although can be trying.

Stop thinking in extremes, all or nothing. Stop over-generalizing the negative... Don't minimize the positive... Stop mind reading.. Stop forcing your own rules.. Stop making stuff up and believing it.

Bottomline - certain I will still need help (but I'll get there. HA. SEE? Learning)..... I think it would be a good once-a-week thing to Google/Bing/Yahoo this same topic and make it a frequent, pleasant reminder.

I've rambled, sorry... kinda. Off now to find me a yoga class full of those 112 lb'ers in tight spandex... or, maybe I'll meditate instead.

I'm positive........... I think.

Love, Victurd.

No comments: