Thursday, December 18, 2014

A winter's day....

A winter's day-
in a deep and dark December
I am alone-
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.
I am a rock, I am an island.

I bundle. I start car to go work. I get out to scrape. Car die. Back in, start car again. Out, scraping, half of front windshield done, half of that snow, down pantleg. That cold. Car die. Back in, back out. Almost done, car die. I remember my promise to not cuss as much. Forgive me for I have sinned.

I've built walls,
A fortress deep and mity
That none may penetrate
I have no need of friendship
friendship causes pain
It's laughter and loving I disdain
I am a rock, I am an island

I'm back in car now. Windows cleared. A hint of heat. I'd promised myself to cut down on my calories. The fat that dunlapped over my belly and behind my back, is now skin to leather with 20 degree leather seat. Wow. That cold.

Don't talk of love
but I've heard the word before
It's sleeping in my memory
I won't disturb the slumber of the feelings that have died
If I never loved I never would have cried
I am a rock, I am an island.

I coast in neutral from my spot, because 1999 car remind me it old, need 'winter foreplay' before it kick in. It die. I no cuss. I pull to side of road, that hard with no power steering. Start. I go again.

I have my books
and my poetry to protect me
I am shielded in my armour
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb,
I touch no one and no one touches me.

I have my Coffee and my longjohns to protect me. Car warm now. On Interstate. Roads not cleared. Oh shit (forgive me again) WHERE ARE LANES? I go 15 mph slower than others. Other cars no likey me. One was from California I think as I heard 'sunny beach' when he went by. I no ask where he live. They mad, I no care. Comes with being 60-something. Safe bet, rush hour, everyone going 15 mph less is 60-something, and think about one thing, retirement.

I am a rock, I am an island
And a rock feels no pain, and an island never cries.

A winter's day- in a deep and dark December. I'm kinda into purple pinkies, purple toes, shoes that leak -driving woes. And YES, shorter days for us old farts that no can see to drive in dark, perfect! Shrinkage. Yellow snow from hound. 53'ers that spray as they pass so I no use so much washer fluid. Never mind the ten seconds I can't see road/pee a bit.

I am a rock, I am an island
And a rock feels no pain, and an island never cries. 1395 days until retirement. I no county. I no rock. I no island. Boooo whooooo booooo whoooo.

Love, Victurd.

No comments: