Friday, December 26, 2014

Take a listen....

Christmas, of course, is just as much about the past as it is the present. I am very well aware I am (by far) not alone in having 'empty chairs' around the table this time of year..

As the sole survivor of the nuclear family I grew up in, I relate it as "I couldn't have hand picked a better family to grow up in, they just all checked out WAY too soon."

I very much miss my mother, father and sister. They are a part of me, I am a part of them - and again, almost everyone across the land shares in emptiness not only all year, but specifically (or maybe more emphatically) this time of year.

I, like most I'm sure, am very biased. My sister, as an example - trying to describe her to friends who didn't know her, or children born after her - there's no way to amply do so.

At my sister's funeral, her boss of many years, spoke for fifteen minutes on her life, her person, her business acumen - and the entire speech involved the humor she intermixed in her life therein, perfectly describing the life she led.. it was beautiful, it was teary, it (rightfully) involved 'fun/funny', and it was spot on, I was (and am) proud.

Am I weird to think "wow, I wish I had a recording of that speech - for when into the future someone might say 'Tell me about your sister' - I could simply go to the tape recorder and say 'here, take a listen.'

Gruesome, some might think. I think not. I guess I am just curious if anyone else has recorded eulogies - or wish they had. Instead of "You'd had to have known her", I could simply smile, push 'play', and say 'take a listen.'

Happy New Year, love, Victurd.

3 comments:

Mary Guerber said...

Not at all gruesome, Vic. When my husband passed, I kept his cell phone for the longest time because it had his voice message on it. I could at least hear his voice when I couldn't be with him any longer!! Something we should all think about! A tape recording isn't a bad idea!! Hugs to you Victurd!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful/painful memory of your sister. If you can put your "remembering hat" on, jot down what her boss said about her, leave room to add things that pop into your mind about her later. Maybe include some fond memories of both your Mother and Father as well.
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you. (Paul Simon, "Bookends")

bear said...

When my dad passed away a few years back we were at the service at the funeral home and people were invited up to say a few words. I wanted to but deferred to my older sister as I wasn't sure I could do it. after everyone was through, my dad's best friend stood up and came forward. This was a man that had been best friends with my dad since grade school. his name was Fred and he was a man of few words, which made it more surprising that he would speak. Well, he started by saying, that's my best friend there, pointing to the casket. It's hard to say what was all said after that because there wasn't a dry eye in the place. When it was over I wished I had a copy of his speech. I then remembered that they usually recorded the service so I asked them if they had a copy. They said that they had to move our service from one side of the building to the other for remodeling purposes and that they had no recording device on this side. I was heartbroken! Fred passed away a year later. So, no it's not gruesome in any way. Bear