Saturday, April 23, 2011

I grew up fortunate.

No, no no. Not what you're thinking. Very middle class, maybe even lower middle class. Son of two out-of-the home working parents.

Fortunate for many reasons. Wasn't a household of yelling-screaming, perhaps why yelling-screaming bugs me so much today. Folks took turns cooking - funny, dad always sang as he did.

Town I grew up in. Safe, very. Could walk anywhere, folks knew you were ok. Word spread fast amongst parents – so, if you did get outta line, twasn't a secret long.

My favorite electrical gadget in that day was my clock radio. Fell asleep many a night to the voice of Harry Carey/Cardinal's baseball. Somehow, I lived thru it, being my only/favorite electric gadget.

The yard. Fun. Neighbor kids. Games, aplenty. Day and night. Parents took turns for Kool-aid breaks. Always hit the spot.

Folks weren't into “do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign.”.. Moreso, “so how do you feel about this”, “if this happened, what would you think?”.. Without even knowing so, they 'pointed me' in the right direction.

Dribbled my basketball to the Catholic grade school, where buddies (of all colors) gathered to play. We got along very peacefully – twas prior to the high five becoming vogue – but I do remember we always shook hands prior to dribbling back home.

Holes in the knees of my jeans were patched... tears in my shirt from 'thorn trees' were sewn – yet neither led me to a shrink.

Going to granny's was awesome, and I thought the pallet on the floor was 'special', just for me. Aunts/uncles/cousins – a wonderful bond.

Roof over my head, food in the fridge, being loved – things a freckled faced redheaded kid once kinda took for granted – so very appreciated today. Many would settle for just one of those.

No, as the years have progressed, the painting hasn't always looked as I've desired.. but back in the day – my parents allowed me to paint my own values, form my own beliefs – and they were absolutely awesome role models to boot.

Not being 'perfect' was ok. Understood, actually. Folks always my/my sister's biggest backers no matter the outcome of the endeavor we tried.

I was, am – very fortunate. Thanks mom and dad. Love, Victurd.

No comments: