Sunday, January 02, 2011

Over the river and through the woods.......... (and outta the handbasket).....

“Stressy” (I will always love my ex, and this is onea my favorite 'sayings' she usedta spout.. “Stressy”).. “Depressing”... DON'T write about that crap (Emmett Kelly, SR.. “the tear”).. , write about happy stuff....

Hmmmm... k... Gotta buddy on Facebook, that shared a pic of his grandmother holding him in her arms on their farm in 1954. Same grandma, same farm today. January 4, 2011, the family will go to her house in celebration of her 100th birthday. THAT'S perty happy.

Two high school buddies (Jim/Ray [“Carl” back in the day]) sharing a birthday today. Twenty years ago, who'da known – today, hopefully when they get up and see their FB, smiles derived from their well-wishers.

THIS Father's Day, once again, the “Family Reunion” is resurrected. The setting is a pretty as any you'll see ANYWHERE in the US. An old grist mill, converted into a homestead, a wonderful one at that. Even wonderfuller (that a word?), the folks who resurrected the mill... 2nd cousin Jeannie and her hubby Jim. One whole weekend of nothing but love, fellowship, war stories, and prolly some potato salad (and refreshments.) That's happy.

Watching paint dry? HUH? Well.. if I told you how exciting watching someone sleep was yesterday, you'd call me nuts. To visit 3 day old g-baby, she/mom, fast asleep on the couch. Minutes – many, I stared in awe. Births are a miracle – that's happy.

The Chiefs. Division Champs. Happy.

Nine old-timers, included – former mayor, chief of police, City Department heads... assembled around a table drinking coffee this morning at Ronald McDonalds. That's happy. LIVING, loving, sharing, laughing.

A car that starts every time. A warm house to enter from the elements. An article in the KC Star about a preacher (white dude) that grew up somewhere back East. His nuclear family beset with problems. Hard for him to gain acceptance. Was “found” in an inner city Church (primarily black) – since retired from a long, joyous ride there. Farm out. Happy. Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends. See? We CAN! Happy.

If you ever get a moment to roam the halls of Truman Medical Center in KCMO, I suggest you do so. Hallway, perhaps 50 yards long or so – the history, year by year, of Kansas City from it's inception from 1850-something to present day. The left side of the hallway (inception to late 50's) is “Emmett Kelly, Sr.” “Stressy.” Sad. “The tear.” It speaks of Hospital #1 (for whites) and Hospital #2 (for blacks.).. The Negro Leagues baseball. Segregation. Sad. Wrong. Not happy. Other side of the hallway – we wise up. Can't erase yesterday – but can change today/tomorrow – and it happened. A long lists of “firsts”.. First Doctor. First Baseball player. First Mayor, etc, etc. First is sad to think of, but so, so right – so that's happy. Again, traverse it – it's emotional.

A new year. We're here. In and of itself, that's happy. (KC Star obits 3 pages today, we're lucky.) Some will actually follow through with “I promise to, in this new year........” tasks, goals, reshapings, attitudes, ethics, do-goods, etc etc yada yada. Kudos to those that do – and even if never getting past the planning stages – self improvement going thru the brain is a good, happy thing.

Google. Google is happy. Remember staring at 27 volumes of Encyclopedias where you sat intimidated... “Oh my, just whereinthehell, whichinthehell one do I start with to see if I can learn about..........”.. Google is an Encyclopedia whoooooooooosh from the fingertips. Fast is happy (Ok, sure, can thinka one or two things where fast ain't necessarily a good thing... but when attempting to learn, fast is good...) [Perverts!]

So I Googled “Reasons to be happy” - and presto.. Page upon page of results. I jumped to the second one.. “100 Reasons To Be Happy Today”... I will bore ya with the first few:

Every new day is another chance to change your life. (But I'll admonish – if you like it as is, then status quo works too!)

This day is an opportunity to be better than yesterday. (Me and Emmett agree).

You have great friends.

You can learn a new thing today.

The summer is coming soon. (You “Coast'ers, Southerners, we envy you... but too, our weather here in the Midwest mebbe makes us appreciate 'the good' that much more I reckon.)

You are unique.

You can feel emotions.. (OHHH, I likes that one.)

There is only one now.

There is something good in every day.

Ok............. I'll stop..... but Emmett and I thought we'd better stand on our heads today so it appears to be a smile... and it's working.. The Indian blood in me makes me red-faced anyways, no one will ever know the difference.

I wasn't really a fan of Dr. Laura... in fact, I kinda despised her. VICTOR!! This is SUPPOSED TO BE HAPPY. Sorry. Kinda. Not only was I comforted when she finally signed off – but, I actually kinda liked the way she did so: “Now go on, take on the day.”

The day is a canvas, and we gots the keys to the paintbrushes. I suck at art, but I can draw a smile easy enough. Thanks to my eyeballs, I gravitate to folks that seemingly always have a smile affixed to their face. Gas station across from the City Park. Gal in there – you couldn't get her to stop smiling. I love that, her. Life is for smiling. Sorry for the respite Emmett... Life is good......... and there's happy within.

Love, Victurd.

No comments: