Friday, January 21, 2011

Later........

All you happily married fo'er and e'er, this might not be your watoosie, cup of tea... but any slackers, singles (like muah) along the way – mebbe cause for hope.

To The Dish Pizza joint tonight. NO VICTOR, NOT YOU? THE ONE WHO GOES THERE DAMN NEAR EVERY NIGHT? Bite me, yes.

Very crowded. Friday's always are. Nexta my longtime runnin' buddy to my left.. Four open chairs to my right around the horseshoe bar.

Couple I'd seen time and agin' in there – but ne'er close enough to say “hey”/introduce, takes the two chairs to my right. I'd always admired them each/and their 'coupledom'..... laid back... wonderful smiles.. no hurry in life. Perfect together.

The gal was next to me. So we talked life. Parents. (She's got her mom, tween the three of us, the only parent left). Dementia, sad. Shared stories about that – sad, but accompanied by the occasional “ya just haveta laugh” stuff.

I guessed they'd met in HS some 35 or so years ago, as they seemed embedded in love. Not so, she related. Together 12 years. (She fitty-four, he, I ain't sure)... She from NC. Married, moved to TX. Her man then, insteada putting both hands on the lawnmower/keyboard, put them around her neck. I forget how she made the move from TX to MO, but it was a blessing.

Her brother was in town from NC visiting. He struck up conversation with a guy at same joint, approximately his sister's age... digits exchanged... and they (the gal to my right and her main man) haven't been apart a day since. 12 years. Far, far, out. And happy. And comfy. I truly admire their relationship, as do they.

In walks J & G. Admittedly, many past hours visiting with these folks. Perty much, same thing. Always happy, always jovial. Laughter insteada bitching. Asked tonight (finally) “so how'd you guys meet?”.. “She was my secretary in Oklahoma”.. AHA... so.... fastforward to seedy thoughts thru the brain.. I KNOW, I KNOW... YOU HAD A LOCK ON YOUR OFFICE DOOR DIDN'T YA? (He was married, but it was going “South”)

“No Vic, didn't... In fact, we never got together back then... Once my family split, after a bit, I did call her... I can't remember what day it was... She'd moved to Missouri... She said, “why don't you drive on up tonight?”.. and... I made a 4+ hour drive in about 3 hrs and fitteen minutes.”

AHA! So THAT was the night you smooched, said your “Oh baby's” and stuff eh? “Actually Vic, no... The first 5 or 6 trips up I went to see her, I always got a Motel room.. and no, no smooching (prolonged) together.” So, the idiot in me thinks “You drove ALL THE WAY from Oklahoma to Missouri, yet, you didn't 'oh baby, oh baby'?”

No, sorry. We didn't. And as that sunk in, far, far, out again.

Both of these couples within a few years of muah. Both, extremely happy. Content. There's no moving down the road (as far as mates.. who knows about retirement.)

Both couples, to observe 'em, you'd think “hmmmm, longterm, perfect together... fitting”... but nope – recent – if 12 years or so can be considered recent.

About 44 years ago, the Little League team I played on was “The Liberty Optimists”.. I had no friggin' idea what this meant. I figured it had something to do with eyesight.

Tonight, visiting with “they're hella old, like me, found love late, seemingly very damn good, ain't headed anywhere else, I love her/he” - twas a feel good.

Once again, I am a Liberty Optimist. Damnit. Wherethehellareya? Come, undress me. (Just kidding, kinda sorta.)... But (again with apologies to Mrs. Sumpter who said “you CAN'T start a sentence with 'But')... but... I do think one day it will happen. She will appear. Or, I will stumble upon her.

So... mebbe dementedly, I hope to hookup, learn all about you, treasure (for some years) in some travail's together, and then.....as we age... slowly, forget 'em all! (jk)..

Later... as in “seeya”... but too, later as in later in life. Life, regardless if “later” ever/never happens, is a very good thing. Reckon hope is ok though, eh?

Love, Victurd

No comments: