Sunday, January 09, 2011

When the night has come

And the land is dark
And the moon is the only light we'll see
No, I won't be afraid
Oh, I won't be afraid
Just as long as you stand, stand by me
So, darling, darling

Caring Bridge. I hope you haven't had to experience what it is – but if you have, you know it's ALL ABOUT Stand By Me.. Fraternity brother from several decades ago beset with present day health issues – amazing to read his wife's journal... she demonstrates patience, hope, faithfulness (both to he and her Maker), a sense of humor – 'twould really be hard to 'paint a better picture' of wife/stand by me than what she demonstrates. Ya gotta love love. (And the outpouring of well wishers, friends, family, their kid's friends, college 'brothers', fellow church goers...)

Stand by me
Oh, stand by me
Oh, stand
Stand by me
Stand by me

To me, this song isn't only about 'boy-girl' relationships, it's about friends, family, coworkers (former/present), fraternity/sorority bros/sis's, school classmates, one's “family” built over a lifetime... even this 'new' method of communique – Facebook.

If the sky that we look upon
Should tumble and fall
Or the mountains should crumble to the sea
I won't cry, I won't cry
No, I won't shed a tear
Just as long as you stand, stand by me
And, darling, darling

Today is yesterday zooming in in a heartbeat – and it's like a day was never missed. It's walking down the hall at work extending a hand for a high five... It's meeting an old schoolmate for a beer, a friend for a game of golf, a phone call to a loved one, a text, a 'posting'...

Stand by me
Oh, stand by me
Oh, stand
Stand by me
Stand by me

Darling, darling

Stand by me
Oh, stand by me
Oh, stand
Stand by me
Stand by me

Stand by me is forever, in sickness and in health. In youth and in old age. In this city, in that city. Your time zone, my time zone. We are fortunate in that “we get it”, that bond, that “I'll be there forever, even if calendar days pass.” Ben E. King wrote this song in 1961. Relatives, older friends demonstrated and handed down stand by me. It is a very rich, rewarding feeling to have one stand by me, and to stand by one. Life, living – rocks.

No comments: