Monday, February 01, 2021

I bet you do.....

My psychology professor in college was fun to listen to.  Insteada lecturing us unripened brain students on psychological algorithms or in heuristics (I know, I had to look it up too).. he spoke 'real life' stuff to us.

One of my favorite stories of his... he was shopping in Wally World..  He happened down the same aisle as a mom that was pushing her cart where inside was a fairly new newborn, and, a termite in the 3 to 4 year old range. The newborn was an angel - of course he was strapped in and wouldn'ta fallen out even in a tsunami. The 3-4 yr old, not so much.

Down the toy aisle, said 3-4 yr old "Olive Oiled" a jigsaw puzzle into their cart, mom replied "NOOOOOO", removed it from the cart to it's proper place back on the shelf, then admonished "SIT.. . do NOT stand up.. i don't want you getting hurt, and you CANNOT put things that don't belong to us in the cart." This all interested our professor... so....

He followed them down the ailse where the toys were really for older kids. Said 3-4 year old (let's call him Jonathan, I don't remember his name though)..  Jonathan was able, from his sitting position, to reach out and grab the streamers that protruded from a nifty pink bicycle handlebars, toppling the bike, almost toppling the cart, almost jettisoning the tsunami-proof newborn.  "DAMNIT JONATHAN!" she screamed, then looked around sheepishly to see how many people heard so she could rank her embarrassment.  Just our professor buddy. "Whew."  More scolding of Jonathan

Jonathan would be mostly good down the length of an aisle, then, he would act his age, grab something, knock off something, or, beg "Mom I WANT one of those!" Repeated admonishments, reminders to "sit", and, "I TOLD YOU, we're here to get a few things for home, your birthday is in two weeks, NO TOYS TODAY." Around the 3rd or 4th time she had to say that, she spoke to herself "God, I sound just like my mother."

Professor getting his exercise in, staying a safe didstance as to not be thought of as a stalker, but still interested in the human psyche between partent-child. "Jonathan, I am NOT gonna tell you again" she bellowed in housewares.

Jonathan didn't seem overly concerned about the admonishments, but then again the vast majority of his life had been spent watching Days of Our Lives and Guiding Light so you can imagine his excitement just getting out. "Jonathan, DO NOT stand up" she sweated out as he did so in Electronics.  "I am NOT going to tell you again."

Cart was getting fuller of needed goodies, kinda squishing Jonathan's reaching ability - nonetheless, several more times the scolding continued "and I AM NOT going to tell you again."

Thus far, professor believed he hadn't been noticed by mom.  As she inched closer to checkout, it took her down the candy aisle. Eyeballing his favorite, Jonathon reached and successfully grabbed a bag of Sour Patch Kids gooey candy. With tremendous peripheral vision, mom instantly snatched it, put it back on the hook it came from, and one more time "And I AM NOT going to tell you again." Prof couldn't resist his urge to shed the Sherlock Holmes disguise, and just as soon as she got the "I AM NOT going to tell you again" outta her mouth, he finally added "I bet you do." 

Screw algorithms and heuristics, I loved the man, the class, his stories.

That's really the end of this blog.  When fat rear end sat down, I was determined to do a blog on all the different bets one can make on the Super Bowl. The last time I bet on the Super Bowl, I was SO SURE Payton Manning and the Denver Broncos were gonna smash Seattle, I put $100 on the Broncos. On the Broncos very first play, the center snapped it over Manning's head, the ball trickled out of the end zone for a safety and it only got worse from there. (Seattle 43, Denver 8). Needless to say, my betting days on the Super Bowl are over.

HOWEVER, if you'd like to make a bet, below there are ****36 pages**** of prop bets you could make.  Ain't a typo, it's really 36 pages.

Have a wonderful day, I'm betting you do. 

Love, Vucturd

Your 36 pages:    https://www.scribd.com/document/492520738/SB-LV-PROPS#from_embed


No comments: