Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Tastes great...... Less filling...

It has been said, the only time you can change a man is when he's a baby.  Eh, mebbe so.

From the days of black and white TV, dad reconbuberating tubes behind the TV whilst a mirror placed on a chair in front let him know "good tube", "bad tube."  From when it took two football players to carry the damn TV in when one moved. To the flimsy ass (sorry, kinda) flatscreens of today where the pics are wonderful and when the picture goes bad you simply haul it out to the curb and run to BestBuy, WalMart, Target to by another big'n that's now under $10 an inch.

So.. over time, like my meat and potato diet, I've basically been a sport's addict, so, Nielsen has regularly avoided me in their ratings over the years.

Gimme USC versus UCLA...  Michigan versus Michigan State... of course KU/MU...  Alabama/Auburn... Cardinals/Cubbies... Yankees/Red Sox... Army/Navy... Dallas/Detroit and a turkey leg.. and of course the must see, Chiefs and Royals.

There are a bevy of people (I looked up bevy to see how big it is and results are mixed, from ten to hella lot).. a LOT of people who would be bored to tears on my sofa watching sporting events. Come to think of it, maybe that's where all them damn women went.

TODAY.  Who are you?  Are you the same?  Have your taste buds (at least as far as TV) changed?  Will you go to the urn watching every episode of Days of Our Lives? Do you program your remote to watch the same damn thing, night in night out, daily, weekly?  If so, you must be good with that - and, of course to each his/her own.

I've changed.  Yes, I won't miss a Mahomes/Reid, Salvy/Merrifield, MU Tiger kinda thing,,,, but if I do find myself tuned to something like  Kentucky/Tennessee, I get bored after the first shot taken.  Change.

Change.  I know you older women understand change. DON'T SWAT ME!  

No, I ain't of CSI, The Bachelor, The Voice ilk. (every onceinawhile maybe), etc..  When partnered, which seems to depend on who's in office in DC, I do enjoy a good ole binge on Netflix.

Quick story, our secret, PLEASE.  Last 'partnered', partner had a nifty screened in porch.  Wanting to enjoy storms, summer breeze, friends, yada, AND watch a show, I bought onea them big ole under $10 an inch TVs for the porch. I was a Netflix virgin until then - but once TV/porch happened, hours upon hours of Breaking Bad, The Ranch, Shameless (I know it ain't Netflix).. anyways, message is, thanks to the Amazon Fire Stick, we got Netflix on the porch too.

Then Breaking Up happened. So, paid my young studly great nephews and son, to help me totes all my junk to an apartment.  Got cable, don't remember which, I think it was AT&T, to watch until they raised rates too damn high to switch to Time Warner Spectrum Cougar Mellencamp a year later.

One day (this is our secret), for grins I clicked Netflix.  Lo and behold up popped 'her' name, I clicked it, and for a few years until my usedta be on the screened in porch TV conked I coat tailed her Netflix, forgive me Father for I did.

Where was I?  Oh yeah, change. I don't hate sports, but I've replaced them with a pretty good mix of Discovery Channel, National Geographic and History Channel. Alaska, Homestead Rescue, Building Off the Grid.. but mainly:

Alaska. On Facebook they have those lists with a hunnerd and twelve places and you're supposed to put a heart by where you've been - I've never been to Alaska and there's at least a hunnerd and eleven places I'd rather go first.  I don't like to hunt.  I don't like to fish. I like automatic thermostat, 4 lane highways. seeing people daily, our Old Towne Square, even Wally World.  If the temperature gets below ten, I'm under two down comforters. So. Why Alaska?

I dunno.  It's thrilling (to me) to watch. Yes, there are the two families highlighted on Discovery (maybe too mainstream now), but I too have just 'found' Life Below Zero on National Geographic. The freezer is empty, winter is coming, BETTER GET WITH IT.  Survival depends on it. "Geez, that lady just walked outside her cabin and she doesn't have a rifle and ya just know there's gotta be a Grizzly within shouting distance?"

Snowmobiles on roads where you can't tell whereinthehell the road is.  Dogsled teams where speed, turning and woah are all done verbally, no reigns. (My beloved sister inlaw would be repulsed by dog teams, but, they actually seem happy and enjoy, well fed, very well taken care of.) Crossing frozen rivers where "If by chance the ice gives in, we're done, history, dead."..   "Gotta getta Caribou or else".  I am new into watching this show and I'm not real sure, other than 'hunting, fishing and gathering' how these folks make real money to buy real needs like gasoline, tools, machine replacement parts, etc.

One lady, 55, lives in basically a humongous tent. She's one swipe away from being a Grizzly meal.  I do not know how she does it. Better yet, why she does it. "Wouldn't live anywhere else" - and they all seem to echo that.

50 below zero. 40" of snow. Must have gun to walk outside. Some, no running water.  Most, no real toilet.  It ain't me babe, but it's sure fun, exciting to watch the show.

I would love to hear of your TV habits - to see if they've indeed changed as you have gotten older, maybe changed a bit yourself.  Sorry the above it mainly the view from my shoes and about my shoes, but after 68 years, I find myself still trying to get to know me, and wondering if anyone else was in same boat, or sled, or snowmobile. 

Dominique, nique, nique S'en allait tout simplement, Routier, pauvre et chantant, En touse chemins, en tous lieux, Il ne parle que du Bon Dief. Sorry, kinda.  Felt it.

Have a happy day. Getting my dogs and sled ready, running for a burger at McCaribou.

Love, Victurd

No comments: