Thursday, November 24, 2011

Rescue me

Oh take me in your arms
Rescue me
I want your tender charms
'Coz I'm lonely and I'm blue
I need you and your love too

Sand... pea gravel.. pebbles... rocks... boulders.. mountains...

I wish I had a girlfriend/boyfriend.. I wish I had a new (car, house, job, outfit, pair of sneakers).. Sand. Written it before (sorry).. reporter asked longtime (VERY successful) NWMSU coach Mel Tjeerdsma “Can you give me three things to help me be successful in life?”... #2 was “don't worry about what you don't have, focus on what you do have.” Thanks coach, liked that, needed to hear that. Most problems are sand.

Come on and rescue me
Come on baby and rescue me
Come on baby and rescue me
'Coz I need you, by my side
Can't you see that I'm lonely
Rescue me

Pea gravel. Mebbe nowhere to go for Thanksgiving. Distance. Finance. Time. In the way. Again, minute probs...


Come on and take my heart
Take your love and conquer every part
'Coz I'm lonely and I'm blue
I need you and your love too

Pebbles... Illness. Confined.. Injury. No money. Transportation, lack therof. No phone. Pebbles make baby ripples in the water.

Come on and rescue me
Come on baby and rescue me
Come on baby and rescue me
'Coz I need you by my side
Can't you see that I'm lonely

Rocks. Aging, limitations. Empty chairs at the dinner table that used to be occupied by loved ones. Mothers, fathers, grandparents, siblings.. perhaps even a spouse or child...

Rescue me
Oh take me in your arms
Rescue me
I want your tender charms
'Coz I'm lonely and I'm blue
I need you and your love too

Boulders. Chris Herren is a good man. Born in 1975. Chris Herren is an addict. Ever getta chance to see the documentary on his life on ESPN, by all means run to it. Gripping. Extemely sad, but happy ending... so far. Grew up in Massachusetts a high school basketball legend. Landed a scholarship at his beloved Boston College. Alcohol got in way. Then drugs. Scholarship revoked. Fresno State, under “Tark.”.. Three years of good play/results camouflaged his addiction. NBA draft, 2nd round, Denver. The 'amateur' drugs now replaced by more hard core ones. Marriage. Traded to Celtics, the dream of all dreams of MA schoolboys.

Addiction worsening. Released after one season. Basketball overseas. More addiction, more children. Whenever funds ran out.. it was wife's jewelry, or son's Play Station to the pawn shop to gain bucks to support his habit. Modesto, CA, 2008. Wife, three kids fly into airport to meet him. He's embarrassed, lost. Told himself "I should probably never see them again."

Been thru two heroin induced car accidents, awakened from incoherence by Police. He chooses not to go to airport. To liquor store, found sleeping in an alley some hours later. Rehab. A slip. More rehab. Now sober since June 4, 2008. In June of 2009, he launched “Hoop Dreams with Chris Herren” a basketball player development company to mentor players on and off the court.

For an addict, everything is 24 hours at a time. Blessya Chris, and bless your wife for seeing the good. The rescue. Boulders.

Come on and rescue me
Come on baby, take me baby, hold me baby, love me baby
Can't you see that I need you baby
Can't you see that I'm lonely
Rescue me

Come on and take my hand
Come on baby and be my man
Cuz I love you cuz I want you
Can't you see that I'm lonely?
take me baby
love me baby
need me baby
Can't you see that I'm lonely?

Driving to work the other day. “Military Mondays” on the station I listen to. The DJ, a car dealer, a Veteran affairs guy. Each week, they pick a vet in need, and furnish them with a donated, used (but certainly drivable) car.

This specific week, a Navy vet. Seven years in the 1970's. Recently learned terminal cancer. “Six months to a year.” He here (KC), son in Branson, no wheels. “I just want to be able to see, visit my son with what time I have left.”
Mountains. Car donated.. a happy end, kinda.

rescue me, rescue me.......

As always, I write to me, hitchhikers welcome. When down, and life's Rescue Me's lyrics ring in my/your/our head – look around. In all likelihood, a bigger problem, rock, boulder, mountain.. out there. Happy Thanksgiving, love, Victurd.

No comments: