Monday, November 28, 2011

Go ahead, make my day…..

I started to write “dunno why I’m sharing”, but, I do. A friggin’ feel good. Seems sometimes, there tain’t enough of ‘em.

At the Piggly Wiggly this past week….. walking out to car…. say, ya ever see a face that ya’ ain’t seen since forever, and you’re 99% certain that person is from your yesteryear, and you’re mebbe a tad hesitant to say anything?

Happened to me the other day… . YEARS ago I worked for the local Park Department. Summers in HS and College, and even a few summers thereafter. Talking like late 60’s, early 70’s…..

Traversing across town from Park to Park, ya ran into kids. Some wanted nothing to do with us cheesy Maintenance employees… others couldn’t run fast enough wide-eyed up to our truck to find out what task we were there for that day.

I’ve always loved being around snotnoses.. Arnold Hammond was onea those termites from back in the day. Of our all-time favorite “park department snotnoses”, he, and fellow playmate Wayman Bright were at the very top of our list.. Gorgeous smiles on eacha those kid’s faces every time we crossed paths.. Inquisitive, upbeat, fun… Each child quite bright.. It, quite frankly, was a fun time in each of our lives….. Arnold and Wayman were of the ilk they’d “come’a runnin” to greet us each and every time…

Hesitancy aside (at the Piggly Wiggly the other day)… I kinda-sorta whispered “Arnold?”.. he stopped, turned.. then he gave me one of those who-in-the-heck-are-you (thru squinted eye) looks.. I approached, arm extended.. “It’s Vic, from long ago at the Park Department”..

BOOM.. THERE THAT HUGE SMILE (& WIDE EYED LOOK) WAS AGAIN! Bout broke my damn hand shakin it, but it’s cool.. was very nice to rediscover this friend. Made my day that HE TOO remembered the very good times from back in the day.

Little looms large. Happy day, love Victurd.

No comments: