Saturday, November 26, 2011

Oldzheimers...

Seena buddy and his wife yesterday... for years, AND YEARS, we played softball together (and before that, little league for oodles and oodles of years).. . Of course smiles on all three faces – hands shook.. a quick check on “how was your Thanksgiving?”... theirs/mine, very good. Then.... oh shit, her name momentarily escaped me. Wanted to ask about their son too, but – same problem – oldzheimers.

Last Wednesday.. “Tom, what's the quickest way to Metro North?”.... Victor, be for real. You've lived here, what? FITTY NINE YEARS? I know, but I'm getting oldzheimers.

This Wednesday.. Party at Weasels.. been there thirty – forty times. “Hey, refresh my brain, how do you get there” Geez Louise..

I reckon that happens at this age. I think, contributing too, I've had too many damn jobs, too many damn wives (I know, only two.. but that's boo koo siblings, aunts, uncles, kids.. yada).. I'll see someone, harken back.. “yeah.. I remember we worked together... but crap... was it United Airlines or Eastern Airlines?”

Been bolted down at present job now ten years. Still, someone will bring up a name of a past coworker.. “huh uh.. I'm sorry, I don't remember her.” I'm mid-Oldzheimers.

I think too, representative of how fleeting life actually is. Wiz.. bang... twirl... whaula – we're allofasudden in our later years. Crap.

I was gonna try to find a song that fit... you know... about how fast time does fly... and about how we need to STOP.. realize TODAY IS THE DAY.. make it memorable...... take pictures with the eyeballs... FREEZE FRAME.. yeah, that song'll work.. Nope, it didn't.

Time has come today lyrics? I've been loved and put aside (Time)
I've been crushed by the tumbling tide (Time)
And my soul has been psychedelicized (Time) .... Well, uh huh, those things happened, but not my point today... The point is.... people leave. People get older. Things change. TAKE PICTURES with your brain. Stop. Enjoy.

Slow down, you move too fast
You got to make the morning last
Just kicking down the cobblestones
Looking for fun and feeling groovy
Ba da da da da da da, feeling groovy.........

That kinda-sorta works... Again, the point is... we move too fast.. Things change so fast.. We think EVERYTHING will be this way – forever.. And it ain't. I mean hell, I can hardly remember what my most recent ex's boobs look like. Victor... did you just type that? I think you did. Don't you remember your dear Aunt, Uncle come here.. Your cousin.. Your neice... I'd be ashamed... Looking for fun and feeling groovy - Ba da da da da da da, feeling groovy.........

No pun intended (ok, mebbe intended)... it's about “the point”..

Hustle, bustle, this job, that friend, their kids.. their mates.. this person that works at the joint you go to...this coworker, that coworker.. Monday... Thursday... January... July... . 1985... 1999... 2006... TIME FLIES..

I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down

We better stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
Stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
Stop, now, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
Stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down

Oldzheimers happens. We forget things. People. Names. Addresses. Directions. Moments.

(As always, I write to me, for me, hitchhikers welcome).. Stop. Make it a point to take a picture with your eyeballs. Smile as you do. Life is fleeting. Keepin that in backa the brain just might help one smile, observe, remember and enjoy as we go.

Gotta go now. Taking my beautiful granddaughter (and her folks) for pizza. Now whereinthehell are my keys?

Looking for keys and feeling groovy - Ba da da da da da da, feeling groovy.........

Oldzheimers happens. Love, Victurd.

No comments: