Saturday, March 12, 2011

Open mouth, insert keyboard, and conversation.

Wouldn't it be wonderful, when conversing, to have a backspace key? Would wholly eliminate being able to “hear a pin drop”.. thinking to self “oh shit”.. Upsetting friends, others... And winging those words (or hearing those words) you'll remember for a lifetime.

Whatshername, God love her, once spouted “you write better than you talk.” Hehe. Ok, mebbe I do – but you think that doesn't figure in there somewhere when I have conversation with folks... it's like there's a little toll gate, or mebbe stop-sign somewheres 'tween the brain and the tongue – with a sign “BE CAREFUL VICTOR!”

If you had a keyboard in conversation, you could do neat crap like underline for emphasis. Change font to say (unsaid) “Damnit, are you listening to me?”

Or mebbe go from size 12 type, to size 20 in a millisecond. I know, I know, I know people too who are 'stuck' on size 20. So much to be learned from a booth at Mickey D's. Two ladies, a bit older than me. One of the ladies, participated (controlled, wouldn't let the other lady getta word in edgewise) and as they left I thought to myself “howinthehell did she eat, 'cause there were words coming out the entire time she was there?” I felt for that other lady. Wasn't 'permitted' to converse. Sometimes we just say dumb stuff, like:

"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that but not with all those flies and death and stuff." -- Mariah Carey

Funny, we... or at least me.. am/are different dependent upon who's involved in the conversation. At work, I'm prolly a touch of the little ole lady at McDonalds, with a heaping portion of smartass thrown in. I enjoy pushing the envelope JUST to the point of getting called into the HR dude's office.

Large crowd, friends, and some who I might not know so well......... I clam. Better to be thought a fool. See from their shoes. Include others if you talk Victor. Use positive words. Beyond all – listen. So I do.

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-- Jason Kidd, upon his drafting to the Dallas Mavericks

Facebook. Read,see something that makes you get pissed - THEN GO TAKE A WALK. I've not heeded those words upon occasion – and thank goodness for the “remove this post” thingy. Still, hurt hurts. Posts taken down assuredly have been read. There ain't no backspacing there.

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why?
Answer: "I would not live forever, because we should not live
forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we
would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever." -- Miss Alabama in the 1994 Miss USA contest

One'a my high school classmates put out a thingy on his wall about my frequency in hanging out at the place I hang out. Admittedly hurt a tad. And hey, what was said was true. I've admittedly not handled some things in my life well - and rebounding from divorce is one of them. Just not certain if I understand how pleasure was derived by the poster.

One night, after hanging out at this place I hang out at too much - “By golly I'm gonna find that post and give my two cents!”.. Editor's note: If you hangout like I hangout at those places yain't supposeda (apparently) hangout at all the time – resist the urge to type after you've hanged out. Mebbe even consider a breathalyzer to gain access to your keyboard. Fortunately, the post was taken down – yet again, it was read, the point etched forever.

I do enjoy shock value. You know, borderline stuff like my father usedta sing:
“She's got freckles on her BUT(t?) she's pretty.”... We have a thingy at work – where, due to time zones, we employ a person to work over until 7pm. Uncle Sam “posts” shipments our company can grab up, and there's even a tally board on the wall with folk's name, how many they nab. Every morning, supervisor walks in, she asks “Did you get any last night?” And every morning I DIE laughing. So, walking down the hallway, I see no reason I can't approach one'a my coworkers and ask her if she got any last night. You?

"I was under medication when I made the decision to burn the tapes."
-- Richard Nixon, Former US President

Conversations “at break”... I happen to enjoy taking a break, getting the hell away from the monitor for a bit. Never fails, one will strike up conversation involving a work question – and I'm quick to toss in “you've got 30 seconds to stop that shit.” (ie, talking about work.) We're on break. They kinda-sorta know me, and know I kinda-sorta enjoy teasing, but they also know I'm kinda-sorta serious.

Victor, you're rambling. You're dominating this conversation, SIZE 20 TYPE.. Sorry. Am. Usually don't. Open mouth, insert keyboard. Conversations can be wonderful. Insightful. Dreadful. Harmful. Fun. Boring. A learning experience. An embarrassing experience. Memorable. Fodder for water cooler talk, phone calls later, emails about – and one on one whispering.

"The word 'genius' isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy
like Norman Einstein."
-- Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

Taking a cue from Joe (and 'Norman”) I will end this conversation. Sorry for inserted keyboard in mouth. Happy day, Love, Victurd.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Little strokes fell great oaks.