Sunday, October 17, 2010

Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you.

I actually do remember once staining the kitchen floor, and I found myself “painted into a corner.”

I know, I really should change the topic. Fair enough.

Note to Ron Cottingham.. “We have had BEAUTIFUL Sunny Cal weather here sir. Come back! I know, I know what lies ahead in the coming months.. but you’ve got two retirements… getya a retirement home there, and one here!”

The Fall routine here. College football watching with buddies, wearing our colors, permitting our goofy emotions to run amuck minute by minute, down by down. Sunday/breakfast/paper at Mickey D’s.

Thanks to another friend, reminded of the two stages of life: alive and not alive. Sure, I know silly to wear heart on sleeve here… frivolously watching football… My ‘book’ is dogeared, but I don’t really object to others reading/observing it. I am living. I am very thankful for every day I am afforded awakening.. with age comes prettier colors in the sky… an even grander God.. a wonderful appreciation for friends… and simply life itself.

“I’ve told our guys that no matter what happens not to feel sorry for themselves,” Brown said. “When you think you have it bad because of something that happened in practice or in a game, you might think it’s the worst thing in the world. And it’s not.” (UMKC Men’s Basketball Coach Matt Brown)…

You see, Matt’s 11 year old daughter Ally is in year three of her battle with cancer. If you get the chance, go to kcstar.com and read the article. Every day folks, cursed by this cancer, real life reactions thereof. Among things they’ve learned, per mom Nikki “If you ever want to see a room cleared, bring up death or cancer.”

Mom: Time for bed.
Ally: Can I stay up a little longer?
Mom: No sweetheart, time for bed.
Ally (dripping sarcasm) I have cancer, you know.

Even the tender moments swerve into a smile. Chemotherapy wasn’t necessary. Ally didn’t lose her hair. But the scar runs across her neck and at the age of self-image discovery it couldn’t come at a worse time.

Ally: What if the boys say something?
Mom: God knows who your mate is. He already knows. The man who will love you loves you with your scar already. He’ll love you for what’s on the inside.”
Ally (wheels spinning): Mom?
Mom: Yes, dear?
Ally: The cancer is on the inside.
“I give up,” Nikki said with a laugh.

The family is hopeful the worst is behind Ally after three surgeries in the past six months, but they won’t know for a few months. Prayers.

Kinda puts in perspective “the fall will kill you”, “omg, I’ve painted myself in a corner”, “THE GUY DROPPED THE PASS IN THE END ZONE!”… Should/shouldn’t.

Was another section of the paper devoted to Breast Cancer Awareness… a wonderful picture of a father and his daughter (both having battled cancer) entitled something like “Real men can wear pink.”

Honest, the sun in the morning is enough for me to be thankful. If I never ever had to stare at a beautiful, much-to-young face in the obits again, it’d be amazing.

Turning for a moment... For a long time… I’ve suggested for myself, as well as friends battling an issue.. work problem.. rocky marriage… whatever.. “have you grabbed them by the shirt collar, pulled 'em up close to make sure they’re seeing you eyeball to eyeball, ensuring they’re REALLY listening to you?”…

Life, and it’s events – seem to have a way of grabbing us all by the collar… opening our eyes, making sure we’re listening… and thankful. I am, and I know you are as well. Love, Victurd.

No comments: