Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Thank you for being a........

Teacher........

Traveled down a road and back again
Your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant
I'm not ashamed to say
I hope it always will stay this way
My hat is off, won't you stand up and take a bow.

Impact.  To me, that's the first word I think of when I think of 'teacher.'

When we, as parents, long to hire a baby sitter for escape.. or.. have both eyes focused on The Voice, GOT, the playoffs... CNN... Fox, whatever... and that youthful interruption comes - I certainly admit there were times I didn't handle it well.  Tried, but admittedly, occasionally slipped.

Why did you say all that Victor?  Because it makes appreciation for someone choosing to be a teacher all-the-more sweet. You mean, they CHOSE to work with, be with, kids?  Nice.

I believe suffice to say we've all been impacted by teachers.  The yummy ones that were "demanding but supportive... caring.. interested in us.... excited about what he/she taught.. had a good sense of humor..."

As with any field.. then there were the ones that could be demeaning, boring, dull, intimidating, not interested in us... seems to me, these types didn't stick around too long.

The really good ones that can detect little things like shyness.. and how they'd never embarrass in front of the entire class, but would pull aside at another moment and challenge/converse in a more comfortable setting.

Reinforcement of self-esteem - which, in turn leads to increased motivation and learning.   Once heard an elementary school principal tell the teachers "catch 'em being good" and OH does that go a long way.  I enjoyed when a teacher would read your essay and then take the time to add a comment like "I really enjoyed this..I'd love to see you take it even further and maybe add (enter suggestion here):"..  Versus, maybe denoting "B-" at the top of the page - and that's it.  (It's probably known I can occasionally be a wise-acre, particularly in writing, and I once had a boss tell me in a salary review "You need to work on your emails."  HA!  And that was IT, the end.  )

We all have our favorites.. unique styles they had..   I'll never forget the teacher who would be reading to us, it became clear our minds were elsewhere, and she would continue to read but raise her voice to ULTRA LOUD in (successful) effort to get us back on track....

Smiles.  So important not only in life but in education.  Another favorite teacher would take a reasonably long path to make a point, teach the lesson - and finish with (a smile and asking) "Dig?"  That was 45-50 years ago that was said, and to this day I remember how it was fun, provoked "yes.. no".. asking for more explanation.. yada.

Goofily, as a kid I remember when I'd see a teacher in the grocery store and I''d think to myself "WHAT?  You mean they're a PERSON too?  They have lives outside of the schoolhouse?"  Special, special they are/were.

Of course the long arm of the law.  Pushups, setups, and uh huh, back then, paddles.  Detention,  "We don't do that at Fulton High School."  <-- that was the edict my cousin the teacher/administrator laid down - and it must have worked as they named the gym after him.  His brother continued in his ways, and that too musta worked as they named the baseball field in his honor.  Back then,  we didn't live in fear, but we cared about what our teachers related about us (and our performance) back to our folks.

I was lucky to have taught for a total of six years.  Stupid I was to get out.  With a growing family, costs therein associated (and an admitted dummy who got behind in his continuing education) I ran... I went to load airplanes for $10,000 more a year.  I repeat, I left to go load airplanes for $10,000 more a year.  I'm reminded of the pictures teachers would hand us, and we're left to deduct "what's wrong with this picture."

Teacher = special.  Many of us are fortunate to stay in contact with teachers we had.  Respect, thanks, and still maybe a little "better be on my best behavior around him/her."

We lost a really really good one yesterday.  MMO.  I was fortunate to work with MMO for five years.  She took on educating children with behavior difficulties.  Her choice.  Those were the types that made me wanna run.  Not her.  EASY to tell she was caring.  Easy to tell she didn't let up.  Easy to see her catching them doing good.  Consistent. Dedicated.  Smiling.  Special.

I hope you too have memories of your favs..   Teachers = special.  Folks who WANNA be with kids.

Thank your for being a teacher.
Traveled down a road and back again
Your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant
I'm not ashamed to say
I hope it always will stay this way
My hat is off, won't you stand up and take a bow.

(The 'pal' part, at first, didn't seem to fit.. but with age, comes becoming a pal with former teachers.  I think that's ok.  You?  Dig?)

Love, Victurd

No comments: