Sunday, June 23, 2019

On the 12th Day of Christmas my true love gave to me.... (I was bored, sorry)

You forgot didn't you....

Twelve drummers drumming....

Dozen.  The dime was introduced in 1795.  Tweren't too long after, vendors started advertising all kinda food goodies (apples, peaches, eggs, oranges) as "Dime a dozen."  Sure, dime went a lot further back then, but, still meant abundent in quantity and/or very cheap, something that's easily acquired.

I was gonna share the 'why' as to eggs are sold as a dozen, but it really ain't very interesting.  Oh, ok damnit:  "Under a system that came to be known as English units, which was a combination of old Anglo-Saxon and Roman systems of measurement, eggs were sold by the dozen. It made sense to sell them that way because one egg could be sold for a penny or 12 for a shilling, which was equal to 12 pennies. "  Seez? Toldya.  You just wasted 12 seconds of your life reading that.  Sorry (but it was your call.)

I read the news today oh boy - and I came to my Horoscope, Libra.  First thought was "Is/are 1/12th of the folks on the planet suspected/supposed to have a day just like me?" Why 12?  Something about the position of the planets and the sun and the moon on the Ecliptic at the moment of birth,  Earth, Wind and Fire mighta been in the definition too, but then again, I think mebbe that's a musicial group and it was actually Air, Fire, Water and Earth and me and you and a dog named Boo..  The difference in Astronomy and Astrology?  Who cares.  Kinda like soccer.  Least to me anyways.

"In all my work, I try to say - 'You may be given a load of sour lemons, why not try to make a dozen lemon meringue pies"  That "Maya" lady.....

Clock on the wall has 12 hours.  We gots 12 months a year.  Twelve inches in a foot.  (Band camp, long ago, friend of mine worked in the ER at a local hospital.  "COME HERE COME HERE" she said loudly in the breakroom.  "YOU GOTTA SEE THIS!!  Ok, the patient had a ruler tattooed on his uh huh.  And no, I didn't ask if an inch really equaled an inch.  Just thought bizarre.  12 dozen is gross BTW.

In that one song, George Thorogood orders a total of 12 bourbons, scotches and beers.

Jacob has 12 sons, Jesus 12 disciples,  Twelve tribes were started after Moses led his people out of Egypt.  Twelve is also XII.  The largest number with one syllable?  Yep, twelve. Under British law, one can buy at pet at 12.  (I wish they'd do the same and make kids wait for cell phones here until 12.)

"If there are nine guys auditioning and they're all gorgeous, I have an advantage, because gorgeous guys are a dime a dozen. But if they need someone else - like a goofy guy with bad hair who is just okay - then that's me. And finally, the other 2 percent who audition are geniuses that I could never touch. "  Tom Hanks

Twelve men have walked on the moon.  The Beatles had 12 studio albums.  Our bodies have 12 cranial nerves, 12 ribs, and 12 systems. Twelve knights were seated at King Arthur's roundtable.  On the color wheel, there are 12 basic hues.  

"Man who bring home a dozen roses has ulterior motive."  Victurd

Carpenter's ruler has 12 subdivisions, pharmacists and jewelers use the 12 ounce-pound, miners divide shillings into 12 pence, and bakers who dropped outta school in 4th grade give out one too many a donut.

"People have asked me a lot of times, because I didn't hit a lot, how long a dozen bats would last me.  Depending on the weight and the model I was using at the time, I would say 8 to 10 cookouts." Bob Uecker.

Sold as 12: Beer.  Pop.  Condoms.  I just report it, i don't write it.  Oysters.  Golf balls (6 for Saturday, 6 for Sunday).  12 face cards in a deck.  In bowling, a perfect game is, uh huh, 12 strikes.

Almost twelve o'clock, I'm outta here.

How do I love thee?  Let me count the ways..... uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco, seis, siete, otcho, nueve, diez, once, doce.

By Henry Gibson the XII-th....

Love, Victurd


No comments: