Sunday, March 17, 2019

Light bulb.....

Many cartoons go about their way, lost in story... needing an answer, when allofasudden,
a lightbulb appears above the lead character -  and an answer/solution is introduced.

We all see ugly.  I don't mean the opposite of what's portrayed as physical beauty - I mean ugly, where's there's often little harmony in our world of differences...

I truly love/loved my ex wife, I did/do... but, occasions arose where I would get that lightbulb just above my scalp, she could sense.. and would offer "Victor, not everyone is as whoopie about your ideas as you."  99 times outta 100, she was right.

Still... I press on....

My idea (lightbulb) for a blog this morning was to tell the story of a gathering of people... one of every race, one of every religion, one of virtually every country.....meeting and getting along.  Everyone was different, but no one noticed..

I thought about naming each, but then thought that too might come off as prejudiced, insensitive, labeling.

There would be conversation...happy conversation..smiles, laughs.. . sharing of a feast... more conversation...more smiles, laughs..  arms placed around... hugs.. kind words.. love.

Then, a teacher would say, "It's time to get everything out of your cubby... today is the last day of preschool - and at the end of this coming Summer, your true education will start."

That brought about an internal tear.  My first thought was the old expression "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

To assist in telling the story, I Googled "Children don't know about discrimination."

To my surprise, the suggestions were:

"What to tell your child about prejudice and discrimination."
"How to talk to your kids about racism."
"Seven ways to help your children discriminate against discrimination."
"Young kids take parent's word on prejudice."

It donned on me this is all bassackwards.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Kids don't know prejudice.  Kids don't practice discrimination.  In spite of the great efforts of many a well intended parent - it's all (discrimination/prejudice) learned.

It reminded me of a true story about a three year old little girl.  Going to bed, she'd taken great care to line up 9 or 10 Barbies (of different colors/persuasions) neatly in a row next to her in her bed.  The adult walks in some time later - and one by one places the Barbies in a box beside the bed.

Just as the last Barbie was being placed into the box, the little girl awakens, sits up, takes notice and proclaims "I knew you'd ass it up."

Why do we ass it up?

Why can't we be friends...
Why can't we be friends...
Why can't we be friends...
Why can't we be friends...

Love, Victurd

No comments: