Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Hitch in the getalong...........

I did no snooping on Snopes (holy crap, seems ya gotta do that with every damn thing nowadays).. but, one site indicates this saying was derived from the Old West (the unorganized territories west of the Mississipi River from 1803 to 1890) and especially the cowboy cattle trail of rural Texas. Hitch, meaning jerking movement.. getalong obviously from get along..

I miss Lorenzo Cain. For non-MLB types, he was our centerfielder in Kansas City (signed by Milwaukee this year)- and it was said "two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other third by Lorenzo Cain." Victor, you're weird, what made you think of that, enter it here? Because, me thinks "hitch in the getalong" also covers a wide, wide range.

I ain't written due to a hitch in the getalong, personal junk, no need to share, smudge, air laundry - it's just that I ain't had the capacity to write, or at least attempt humor in awhile. A hitch in my getalong. How's the song go? "It's my (pity) party and I'll cry if I want to, cry if I want to, cry if I want to, you would cry too if it happened to you." Bassackwards tells me "hot damn Victor, that's when you need it (humor) the most" - and mebbe - no PROBABLY, that's true.

Another song, done by Kansas might sing to us "Carry on my wayward son for there'll be peace when you are done." OK, this has turned to "about me" and that is far, far from my intent. We can be alone, but we never really are alone.

We see 'hitch in the getalong' every day... WallyWorld, gait, pace outta whack - interrupted physically, afflicted, maybe even mentally - and it's sad to see. Then again, ya also can see the combined 'hitch in the getalong' adorned with a happy smile and it makes ya think, "damn, far out." I'm a piddly ass turd for wallowing in self pity, schmuck - look at this guy (or gal) - how horrible would it be to have to walk with that obstructed gait, getalong with that snail pace, BUT, then again - YES, they're happy as can be? Hell, the damn 'greeter' was in a wheelchair, but did you catch that wonderful smile on her face?

The Kansas City Chiefs have a coach who lost his arm long ago. There was a wonderful article recently about him.. I kinda remember it was a physical condition - he'd lost all feeling/use of his arm - so after long thought "let's amputate" (in his early teens I believe.)... Not long after, he was with siblings, friends, and his mom in the backyard.. the siblings, friends hopped over a fence - leaving him and his mom on this side... as they approached the fence, he looked at her as if to say "can you help?"... She didn't. Wouldn't. When I read that, I thought it was incredibly cruel - but I was wrong. He managed to get over the fence without the aid of his mother - and her lesson was "you are going to face challenges your entire lifetime, and you will have to find a way to get past, through, over them." I'd say he's done pretty darn well at that.

Hitch can be physical...mental.. heck, sometimes even financial (I recently studied my checking account, and there's more days than dollars until the wonderful Social Security Check is dropped into my account.) Oh well, soon Amazon will deliver that new golf driver I've wanted, but it's cool - I happen to love peanut butter and crackers.

Victor, is there a point, a purpose to this crap? You know me, it's always "I write to me, for me, hitchhikers welcome", thus the name of the blog (checkenginelight).. or, hitch in the getalong. We ALL have these moments, times in our life. Seems one just has to figure a way to get over the damn fence, myself included.

As an aside - and speakin' o' check engine light, my present vehicle of transport, every 200 miles or so, has a warning light come on "Reduced Engine Power" and it's accompanied by reduced engine power. Cruise control won't work.. ya gotta damn near stand up on the gas pedal.. and at a stoplight, the snail pace to drive on lends one to beg "PLEASE don't rear-end me." After awhile, usually the next time I start the car, all is good, and it's back to pep-in-the-step. While in this reduced engine power stage, I fret, cuss (not the real bad ones, you know, stuff like damnit, hell's bells, that kind).. I worry.. I get my exercise tensing every dadgum muscle there is - but thus far, I've always made it.

Was a wonderful YouTube video recently about the fact we place more emphasis on our physical well being than we do on our emotional well being. We brush daily, bathe, try to pick good foods, tend to bruises, cuts, yada.. yet, we never 'doctor' our emotional well being, fretting/denying/avoiding/poo-poo'ing things like failure, rejection, loneliness - so, we 'choose' to wallow in them instead, when there are in fact methods, means to assist. God, Google, friends, professional help, sometimes even simple awareness of looking around, seeing, then thinking, "damn, maybe I don't have it so bad."

Carry on wayward son, daughter - there'll be peace when you are done. That's all. That's the message (to me).. mebbe you, if it fits. We all have hitch in the getalong times - some, carry physical inflictions forever.. some, periodically mental, emotional inflictions.. we simply gotta figure how to get over the fence.. help is out there, and mosta the time it seemingly starts in the mirror (or, I've found that can be true.) You know, like getting over the hump.

Speakinowhich, Happy Hump Day,

Love, Victurd

No comments: