Sunday, March 04, 2012

Got any spare change?

A preachment, dear friend
You are about to receive on John Barleycorn
Nicotine and the temptations of Eve
(ie, I write to myself, SURE-AS-HECK ain't putting anyone on pedestal, I'm reminding ME.. ty, ty)

Change. Life's all about change. Our age changes, we change our addy, our town, our user ID/Password (oh woe is me, now whereinthehell did I write that down).. we change places we store/save things..

We can change our spouses, our jobs, our hair color.. hell, some even change sexes.

Even if we flip our undies, mathematically, we're still changing them 3 and 1/2 times per week. Our cars, our toys, where we eat, what we eat, how we exercise, how we don't exercise... a Twenty.. a Fitty.. u got change for a dollar? (YEARS ago I coached women's college basketball... gal came up frantic before practice "COACH, COACH.. you got change for a dime?".... the hell (I said 'heck', thought 'hell') do u need change for a dime for? Oh... that. K, here. Victor, isn't that like the 12th time you've told that one? Reread your damn blogs for a change.

We can read books and attempt to change an aspect of our life we ain't so hot on. We can take classes, in hopes of changing our career.. We can rearrange, change our furniture.. We get married, change our names (how come it's the chick that's always forced to do that?).. The witch changed the prince into a toad.

We had to change planes at O'Hare. We change lanes at the grocery store when we hear "price check on 12".. get home from work, change into comfy clothes, slippers.

We change everything, almost. Oh sure, you hear "he (she) will never change" and we are creatures of habit in our ways, mindset, beliefs... Even the most headstrong amongst us changes over time.

The only thing I can think of we can't really change (well.. 'ceptin maybe the fact 'the woman is always right') is... yesterday. We can't change yesterday. We get one chance - today, and then it becomes yesterday - and there ain't no going back.

So Victor, you sometimes (oft-times?) depressed fool... smile... lots. You'll be glad tomorrow that you did today. See someone doing good? Let 'em know. Ya like the fact that someone really went all out to look good? Don't walk by and say "hi", damnit, tell 'em, "hey, you look good today,"

Read the obits today? Know anyone? Can you think of five people right now that you'd give anything to call 'em up on the phone but can't? Today becomes yesterday, and there's no changing that.

Victor, I've noticed you've said/written some dumb things of late.. as you walk thru today, don't do that. Don't blurt. Think twice before hitting 'send' on that email, or 'post' on that posting. K, I'll try. (You've got to change your evil ways - baby)...

The other day, someone posted a thingy, I REALLY liked it. Was picture of a doggy runnin' like the wind. Appeared as if he was damn near smiling. Caption was "Live... like someone left the gate open."

I likes that. A lot. If we did (Victor, that's preaching... you mean "If YOU did").. ok, ok. If we (I) relax.. if we (I) smile.. if we look for good.. if we praise others when it's deserved.. if we say stuff like "dang, you're really fun to work with".. "hey, I admire you because of ______".. "I've always liked the way you ____ and I've never told you so."

We have the power within to change our yesterdays - but it's imminent we do so today, for we can't change our yesterday.

So Victor, watch out for John Barleycorn, nicotine and the temptations of Eve. (Sorry.. some things will never change..let it all hang out).. .. but I'm gonna try my best today, to change tomorrow's yesterday... gotta go flip undies now.. happy day, as tomorrow it will be yesterday.. love Victurd.)

No comments: