Saturday, September 10, 2011

Magic Bus

Every day I get in the queue (Too much, Magic Bus)
To get on the bus that takes me to you (Too much, Magic Bus)
I'm so nervous, I just sit and smile (Too much, Magic Bus)
You house is only another mile (Too much, Magic Bus)

5:30pm, 9/9/11. Deserted Pub House - parking lot. Rain.. not just coming down, but going North to South, as in yeowzah... “Magic Bus” (a very long van/coach) pulls in.. One by one they enter... Their present abodes: New York, Dallas, Leavenworth, Kearney, and of course, Liberty...

Thank you, driver, for getting me here (Too much, Magic Bus)
You'll be an inspector, have no fear (Too much, Magic Bus)
I don't want to cause no fuss (Too much, Magic Bus)
But can I buy your Magic Bus? (Too much, Magic Bus)

Nooooooooo!

Hey, that was Waids... yeah, and Krogers right there... Remember Crown Drugs?... Up the hill to Ridgeview.. ah the mems.. Surfer shirts.. first day of 8th grade football watching teammates put on pads the first day 'cause you didn't know how to either.. Mrs. Sumpter... Mr. Eaton.. Mr. Karsten.. Mrs. Lee.. Coach Murphy.. Hey there's Stan Clark''s house...

I don't care how much I pay (Too much, Magic Bus)
I wanna drive my bus to my baby each day (Too much, Magic Bus)
I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it ... (You can't have it!)
Thruppence and sixpence every day
Just to drive to my baby
Thruppence and sixpence each day
'Cause I drive my baby every way

To the old High School.. changed, but so very much the same.. Remember? The Cokely's lived right there.. Rewind the tape – back to when we had more pep in our step.. more glee in our club...

The kinda-sorta nifty thing about this bus tour, it really wasn't 'best buds' who hung out with best buds.. it was a conglomeration of folks, ranging from the Class of '60, to the Class of '70.. Each recalled what school/where they were at when the news of JFK came..

Magic Bus, Magic Bus, Magic Bus ... Up to the Square.. Bud's Pool Hall was there.. yep, Woodys, Mattinglys... remember all the drawers in Boggess?... whitewashing the Square.. of course Homecoming parades.. Mace Shoe Repair.. Breipohls, Beggs, Brants, D'Agees, Fisher's Flowers.. paint it 1965 again.. and we did...

I said, now I've got my Magic Bus (Too much, Magic Bus)
I said, now I've got my Magic Bus (Too much, Magic Bus)
I drive my baby every way (Too much, Magic Bus)
Each time I go a different way (Too much, Magic Bus)

By each one's house... a moment having the floor to point out who lived where, what was done for fun.. and any unusual tidbits.. up to and including learning after almost 50 years “aha, so it WAS your brother who put sugar in my gas tank!”..

To Westboro.. house upon house.. ne'er a patch of land to play ball.. “Oh, true, but.. back then, ours was the only house on the block.. plenty of places to play ball.”

I want it, i want it, I want it, I want it ...

Youth. You can't have it. Or can you? It was a treat to see things “through the eyes of a 16 year old” again. A common love for Liberty. Not way unlike any Midwestern town – still, unique and special to us however. Finalizing the tour – we adapted from the '60's, to present day. What began as Franklin, the Junior High and the Old High School.. is now 12 Elementary schools.. 2 Middle Schools (The hell is a Middle School?).. 2 Junior Highs.. and a humongous new High School, home to the Eagles. (Hey.. we're all “Liberty”)..

Every day you'll see the dust (Too much, Magic Bus)
As I drive my baby in my Magic Bus (Too much, Magic Bus)

The evening topped off by hopping off the bus, running across s'more old farts from our era at The Dish Pizza joint. Rain, health, economics, distance – it didn't stop us. I think, suffice to say, a good time had by all. Viva La Liberty....... love, Victurd

No comments: