Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Forever young, or, wishful thinking?

I was driving home tonight.. beautiful day in KC... temps, like San Diego weather... Listening to the local “Oldtime rock n roll” station (101.1 here in KC)... windows down... volume cranked to max... like, high enough the guy prolly two lanes over would be annoyed... then I looked in mirror... asked... is this proper? Am I TOO OLD to do this?

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

Switching songs for a moment... People try to put us down... talking 'bout my generation”... By golly, I think it DOES have something to do with our/my generation. If I were 20, 40 years older... or, 20, 40 years younger, mebbe I wouldn't think “our age” so special. But... I do. We had the audacity to ask “why?”... “Because it's always been done this way.” “SO? Why must we?”

Challenge authority? Uh huh, I'm all for it.

May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

Buddyamine at work. His gf, circa HS in the late 60's... 2 yr old grandkid comes over.. “Vic, he really takes to her.” Why? (I ask).. “Well... his other granny... she stands erect.. doesn't get down “to his level"... Sherrie does.. she lays on the floor... at “his level” (forever young).. he “gets it”, smiles, giggles, loves her for that. Forever young. I've found the same to be true with my own grandkiddo... by golly, fester down carpet-level... there's an acceptance.. a somehow “we're both young”.. (In spita granny/g-pa's wrinkles)..

May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

Wishful thinking? Or, forever young.

Inspitea the changes physiologically to me, those similarly aged, I/we feel young. I'd like to think, I/we think young. Obstinate? Fearful of aging? In light of the fact I tore up my AARP card when it first arrived, age fitty, I don't think so.

Scoff all you want. If you were from beginning Elvis era... WWII era.. Lady Gaga era... Michael Jackson era... (Close your ears..).. I don't give a rats. I happen to think I/we (those in same boat) grew up in the very best “Hell yeah, I ALWAYS plan to act/think young” era there ever was.

Last night.. my wonderful niece and her bf, assisted me in fetching 'new' sofa, chair, ottoman, 30 miles 'cross town. As they followed me, I texted “it's against the law to text and drive”...

Something maybe about keeping a part of the 60's, 70's alive still in our 50's, 60's, 70's. Label, color “us” any way you wanna...

I/we are forever young. Love, Victurd

No comments: