Monday, September 05, 2011

Last call for Fun For All... (FRIDAY, 9/9/11)

FRIDAY, 9/9.. “Last call.. fun for all”....

I watch my granddaughter's (attempts) at first steps – and it only seems like yesterday when I walked to Franklin for 2nd grade.

I see 13 year olds text away... and wasn't it just the other day you were in the Oak tree, I was in the Elm – we had empty tin cans and string – and thought it was sooo cool to communicate thataway?

I see “this side's” retorts.. that's side's rebuttal... wasn't it only yesterday we learned “The President is dead” and we were ONE?

I get off work at Five.. slither into the easy chair soon there after.. Wasn't it only yesterday we went to school 8 hours, had athletic practice (or worked parttime job) and then went out until just before the sun came up? (And did it allover again the next day.)

I see the wonderful displays of the master gardeners around our gorgeous city.. Wasn't it only yesterday we walked into Fischer's of D'Agee's to buy a boutonniere?

I see humongous SUV's that are equipped to carry the Chief's starting offensive line, and still have room leftover for a few coaches.. Weren't mag wheels, roll up windows, 4 on the floor, 3 on the column, cherry bomb mufflers only yesterday? (Cars back then REALLY had wings?)

I see us scurry about, checking items off the list to see how rapidly we can complete, bet back to that easy chair (To hell with mega shopping centers, give me a place I can pull right up to the door, 'get it over with'... wasn't it only yesterday we “Slow(ed) down, you move too fast. You got to make the morning last. Just kicking down the cobble stones. Looking for fun and feelin' groovy.”

I say, let's go back, even if only for an evening. We have 17-20 folks signed up for the Friday night Fun Bus, 9/9/11... Departing by the old Pub House (now closed, our parking there won't obstruct).. Bus leaves at 5:30pm – and for two hours, it's a time machine that travels back 40-50 years to remember 'our Liberty.” Give us the address of where you grew up – we'll swing by and you can tell us stories..

Oh, and of course The Square, WJC, Franklin, Ridgeview, Manor Hill... THE OLD HIGH SCHOOL.. blurting is permissble “THAT's where 'so-and-so' lived!”.. Chapplers, Eisens,. Kroger, Safeway,. Schoellers, The Dairy Joy,...etc, etc..

The folks signed up – we were kids in the 50's... age doesn't matter.. come. Let's turn the clocks back.. comeraderie/smiles permitted.. One hour short of the Professor and Gilligan's three hour tour.. we'll hop off the bus (Gus) at 7:30pm.. To the Dish patio after?

Fun Bus cost under $20 (depends on final #'s).. I gotta turn in kinda-sorta final numbers today.... holler.. (Please).. vicschultze@hotmail.com (cell, 816-394-1662) Thanks, Victor

No comments: