Tuesday, September 20, 2011

It ain't necessarily all about Andy, Aunt Bea and Opie......

Wow. Whenever I thinka this show, I smile. I remember the whistling to begin the show, the years of the week after week new shows... and of course re-run after re-run after it ended. The Andy Griffith show is/was, America.

Twisting for a moment if I may.. (Victor, it's your blog, do anything you damn well please).. THANKS!..

Son of a buddy'a mine.. recent grad of NWMSU.. had asked the (former now) very successful long-term head coach for a couple of autographed footballs for a fundraiser they had coming up.. Of course, Coach obliged, and buddy's son, an aspiring coach himself asked.. “if I can ask you to list just 3 things that could help make me a successful coach, what would you tell me?”.. Way cool.

Coach Tjeerdsma answered... “Well... organization.. you can't be too organized.. two: don't worry about what you don't have, focus on what you do have... and three.. treat people that take care of you very well.. and I say that: the administration, the office secretary, the groundskeeper, the security personnel, the equipment manager... etc.”

Victor, a nice lesson, but the hell's this got to do with Andy Griffith? Tons. Helen Crump. Otis Campbell.. Emmett Clark.. Warren Ferguson... Floyd Lawson.. Goober Pyle... Clara Edwards... Thelma Lou

The main characters, ABSOLUTELY critical.. Such as.. Andy represents us. You, me, spouses The folks you absolutely dread getting that phone call that will bring you to your knees to learn they've gone to the beyond. Folks close.

Aunt Bea represents aunts, uncles, grandparents.. older folks who've “learned you well”.. folks who may not be quite as swift physically as they once were, yet.. a heightened importance, endearment of them.

Opie represents youth. Long live youth, and it always will. There is wonderful innocence, eagerness, and honesty with youth, and that will live forever.

As I traversed around “The Square” at the recent “Old Liberty High School Celebration” I was VERY delighted with all the Helen’s, Otis's, Emmett's, Warren's, Floyd's, Goober's, Thelma Lou's that jumped out to say “HEY VIC, HOWYA DOIN?!!” I mean, of course I had my folks.. my sister.. I had my best friend Sanford, and my mosta the time gf Teri.. (The main characters of my youth) but my life would have been, and would be, incomplete without all the folks that have 'touched' me as the years have past...

Fellow coworkers.. former coworkers.. HS/College mates, fraternity brothers.. workers in businesses I've patronized, worked with, sought after.. and sure, fellow bar stool mates at the joints I've partaken at...

A gal, semi recently in my old age singledom, once broke up with me because mebbe she thought I smothered her with 'touch'.. Not nasty touch.. just touch.. and that's ok.. a recent email said “biggest mistake I ever made.” Tis ok.

I'll admit, I love touch. And being touched. And I don't mean physical. (Although admittedly, do enjoy that.)

I am touched by those in my life, whether it be for a softball season, a ten year coworker, or some dude who happens to be in line infronta me at the Piggly Wiggly, there's a fervor inside me for touch/communicate/smile/be happy.

Victor, you're making yourself out as a saint. Nuh huh, not the intent. Just me, and what I like. Know many who don't feel this way. See several at work, walk in to start the day... eyes focused on the concrete ahead.. no touch to be had.. and that's cool... Me? I'd rather walk by them (any) or past them and throw in any greeting, or perhaps even a smartass statement about something from the past. I likes touch.

Barney. Crap, we haven't even mentioned Barney, where's he fit in? Ya know, I ain't real sure. I know we've probably all known “Barney Fife types” in our day... and while we recall, we smile, love them.. but we giggle too... Mebbe that's where Barney fits.

Bottomline – the Andy Griffith show was/is peaceful. Fun. Energetic. Creative. Same ole, same ole. Perfect, for that day and age... and I truly believe the Opies of today would enjoy watching it now.

All about happy. Honesty. Fun. Living. The right thing. Finding the proper way to wiggle outta situations... treating those that take care you equally as well... And touch.

I love to whistle, and perform a pretty mean Andy Griffith version, but it's impossible to do so on a blog. So... as I depart, with fishing pole on my shoulder (Don't buy it, I hate fishing)... please close your eyes and 'listen' to the whistling Andy Griffith theme song. Does wonders for me. As does touch.

Love, Victurd.

No comments: