Saturday, May 01, 2021

Every day is Mother's Day.....

 "I believe in love at first sight because I loved my mom since I opened my eyes."

Mom.  Literally the most impactive person on the planet.

"My mom was my role model before i even knew what that word was."

I think the vast majority of us are selfish, I do. Our thoughts are primarily about the mirror. Just behind the word mom, care is probably the second most yummy word there is.  We are, can be selfish, moms aren't - they ALWAYS care.

A 40-something good friend wrote "If someone would like to give me a stuffed animal and a juice box, then turn on some cartoons, I would appreciate it."....ie, "I want my mommy." Moms offer safety.  Love.  Advice, without demand.  There is no teacher alive that gives the lesson of empathy better than mom.

"My mom taught me everything, except how to live without her."  I understand the thought, but I believe the process of being a mother does exactly that, prepare us for life after her. There is perhaps no greater loss than losing one's mother - but we never really do - she's always there in our heart. Our mind. Our decision making, our thought process. Our eyes.  Our smile. Our want for others to have good.

Life after mom still 'speaks.' We are human.  Thankfully, in life we struggle at times with decision.  The human within us can certainly error - BUT, mom, even after not being here on earth - still, helps mold our decisions.  We do not want to let our mom down - long after she's departed.  It's inherent. If you'll notice that word, inherent, the first five letters are 'in her'. She's always there. I am well aware I've stumbled, made poor decisions and every time it's met with regret that I haven't made her proud. She, not there with switch, glare, arms on hips - rather, there with love, the want for us to make good decisions, with the thoughts of those around us in mind.  Moms ARE here after they are gone. Sure, there are no two moms alike, but they are alike in that they are mom.

Mothers put our needs ahead of their own.  Think about that.  Scroll up to 'selfish. Mothers are selfless. I think of my mother every time I cough.  Huh?  Yes.  I will never forget, as a child, when I coughed, my mother would purposely hold her breath until I caught mine. If that doesn't invoke love I ain't real sure what does.

My father's mother died when he was 6.  I can't imagine - but it brings us to another kind of mother.  Grandmas, aunts, siblings, step-parents, adoptive parents, even dads, others that step in and love, somehow magically help fill that role. All those different 'types' are really just one thing - mom.

May 9, 1914, President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed the first Mother's Day.  He asked Americans to give a public "Thank You" to their mothers and all mothers. Long overdue - and probably skewed in that 364 days a year should be Mother's Day, reserving one selfish day for our own birthday.

All stolen:

  "A mother is your first friend, your best friend, your forever friend."

  "When you are looking at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will know.:"

  "The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother." Even us divorced big boys need to remember this, and never utter a disparaging word.

  "My mother taught me about the power of inspiration and courage, and she did it with a strength and passion that I wish could be bottled."

The grief of losing one's mother never ends.  Moms are special.  Because moms are special, so is life.

A son. (Or daughter)

No comments: