Monday, May 24, 2021

Just a spoon full of sugar....

 Atari came out with Pong in 1972.  The very first successful commercial computer game. This ain't about that.  Kinda.  I remember the addiction (many) of 'wasted' hours watching that damn dot gyrate, bounce, wall to wall, this way, that way, coupled by the 'nnnnnngggggggghhhhhhh' sound if you missed. There are moments, at least in my life, where the thoughts running through my brain are akin to Pong.

I certainly can't speak for all, but, I believe many of us are intrigued by human behavior.  Whilst thrift stores do sell shoes, we can only really walk a mile in our own shoes.

I've got a wound on my leg.  Go weekly to get it dressed.  Doctor lady, really cool lady, after the "Hey! How are you?"s..then says "give me a #16" (whatever that means) and she proceeds to dig, get the really yucky stuff out of the wound.  Once, not all that long ago, I actually reacted and kicked a lady doing a Doppler radar of my leg.  Ha.  I felt really really badly but it was not done with intent, knee-jerk to the letter of the law.  I've yet to kick this Doc digging on my wound, but must admit I cringe, maybe internally cuss, cry, make a fist, yada.

After the scalpel like thing is put away, the Doc exits through the curtain on the way to her next fester... the RN asks "How would you rate your pain?"  I said '5'.  Not sure why, but I did. Back to human behavior - we all have different thresholds.  In athletics, the term "ice water in his/her veins" is used for those that don't get shook by nuttin.  That's one extreme.

The other extreme, and I hate to use a grandchild as an example, but maybe the very worst I've witnessed was the 7 year old, the Dentist and his Assistant literally on top of this screaming child in order to pull a tooth needing to come out.  What seemed like an hour leading up to this, he tossing, turning, refusing to give into the Doc's hands into his mouth, shreaks, shrills, tears, crying, pain (perceived, sure) - Doc said "there's only one way to do this" - I could not stay in the room to watch.

The thought here, is ice water (1), tooth pulled (10.)  Many, I'm sure, would lay on that table and let the Doc dig on a wound, would be cinchy, answer would be "1" as to pain level.  Others I fathom might have to have arms held, legs held, yada, accompanied by the shrieks, yellin', screamin', cussnin', that, the RN didn't even have to ask to ascertain the level of pain for this person.. In comparison, Frank Sinatra might sing "That's life."

Back to Pong if I may, aforementioned there are times the thoughts in my brain bounce similarly, continuously, just when one thinks they've a handle on a thought, the damn thing bounces off another wall - as if to say "but what about this?" Or that. Or, another bounce.  And anudder.  And, borrowing from another song (Paradise by the Dashboard Lights) "STOP RIGHT THERE!" Frenetic, to hopeful clarity.

Figuring out life, self love (or not) we ain't got that country twang snotnose "and I helped" from the Shake and Bake commercial, so we're left to figure out this dang thing on our own.

The end.  Kinda.  What follows below is mostly from an article I found kinda addressing the subject of self love. Ways to maybe unplug the game of Pong happening in our brain.  Maybe a teeter to the totter of a pain rating of 10. As John Lennon might pose, "HELP, I NEED SOMEBODY."

Self-love is not selfish; you cannot truly love another until you know how to love yourself. <-- Stolen. I likes that. Slow down ping pong ball.

Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we’ll ever do. <- again, thieved.  It can be very hard to love one's self I do believe.

S'more stolen:

Be proud of who you are, not ashamed of how someone else sees you..... Be yourself.  An original is so much better than a copy...... You can't pour from an empty cup, take care of yourself first..... Put yourself at the top of your todo list every single day and the rest will fall in place.

Stolen continued:

Above all, be true to yourself, and if you can't put your heart in it, take yourself out of it..... If you are searching for that one person that wll change your life, take a look in the mirror...... STOP underestimating yourself..... You are allowed to be both a masterpiece and a work in progress simultaneously.... you were born to be real, not perfect...... No one can make you feel inferior wthout your consent.

OK, I'll stop. I have no idea why...... scratch that.  I have an idea.  I write this to actually help myself, and as long said "written to me, for me, hitchhikers welcome."

Like the weather.  Like people.  Like ballgame outcomes. Like a Super Ball.  Like a damn ping pong ball.  Whether or not you kick the doctor, have to be held down, or... you lay there like a cat in a sunny window sill.. we all have different thresholds, thoughts, ideas, conclusions, sure - needs, wants... 

Whether your Pong game is frenetically Ina Gotta Devita-like, or, Louie Armstrong laid back Wonderful World-like...or maybe as Crosby, Stills and Nash said..."when you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with."  You're a good thing.

By Henry Gibson.

(This doesn't have ANYTHING to do will all that, but in-between searches I found a Henry Gibson quote I enjoyed:   "My congregation supports all denominations, but our favorites are twenties and fifties.")

Love, Victurd




No comments: