Friday, August 17, 2018

Closing one's eyes.......

There is much justification for closing one's eyes....

Coming to mind first is, naturally, going to bed, "getting some shuteye".. How long that takes differs for many - I happen to be one that doesn't go to bed until every ounce of 'go get it' has gone done, so, I'm usually fast asleep. I know the toss and turn folks.. I know the 'read a book' folks who always ultimately zonk, then turn out the light sometime in the middle of the night..

The emotions that accompany one closing their eyes are wide, various. As I watched the news this morning, they were interviewing the crazed man that killed his pregnant wife and two beautiful little girls, as he spoke on his porch, "I just want them back" prior to admitting he'd done it. I didn't wanna, couldn't see him, so I closed my eyes.. Soon, a smiling picture of the mom and the two girls, again, I closed my eyes, I couldn't look.

Happy, thankfully, allows one to close their eyes. I've three grandbabies - over to visit last night, it had admittedly been awhile since I'd been to their house. The two older ones by now oblivious {"it's just grandpa") as they buried their heads in their tablets.. but Ms. Bella, my 2 year old, runs to me, places the side of her face on my leg... I lift her up.. she grabs me like there's no lettin' go, hugging with all her might - I hugged back tightly, gently, we BOTH closed our eyes in happiness for a long, long time. Yum.

"Close your eyes. Hear the silent snow. Listen to your soul speak." A.D. Posey

I remember kids in Little League closing their eyes when they swung the bat... they usually didn't stick around too many years..

I remember hearing something, not necessarily evil, but something with shock value - and we take that baby moment to close our eyes, readjust, gather, gulp, reflect, come back...

The sun, that'll do it.. look right at that sucker, force squint, closure.

Depression - have we maybe all dipped our toes in the water of that one? 'Closing one's eyes' to the mounting trash littering the abode, the overflowing clothes basket, the unshaven face, the same outfit for the second day - we see it, it all weighs horribly, but we close our eyes to it. Thankfully, good follows bad, eyes are opened, messes are fixed, clothes washed, faces shaved, maybe even a new outfit to wear.

A smooch. People close their eyes when they smooch. Doesn't make a whole lotta sense, but we do.. La La Land makes us close our eyes.

"Close your eyes to see me with your heart." Debasish Mridha

Music. Ahhhh music. A sax.. Sitting at the PC, on the couch with your laptop, phone, youtube on TV, whatever, music makes us close our eyes, cleanses our souls. My alltime favorite song (Victor.. nobody asked ya).. ahm, my alltime favorite song is the long version of "You Can't Always Get What You Want".. it's 7 minutes, 4 seconds of bliss.. and when the female choir entry begins, I close my eyes. Heaven, or so I think.. Ray Charles too makes me close my eyes.

Sure, we had the sad above when referring to our eyes closed - but how cool is it folks like Ray Charles, who really always have their eyes closed - and they travel lifelong with zest, thankfulness, and happiness. Yum. Makes one slap themselves for ever having been depressed.

Eye drops, of course, make us close our eyes, so we can then open them with comfort, ease.

Self achievement.. winning an award, a trophy, having kind words planted in your direction, uh huh, we close our eyes. It's fun to watch someone mid-shine.

Rejection. Be it verbally, a phone call, a text, an email, yada.. we see it, but we don't wanna, we close our eyes, wish it away.

Finally, in death. Yesterday we lost the Queen of Soul, Aretha. Coincidentally, she died on the very day the King of Rock and Roll, Elvis, did. Sure, that'd be a very very very nice concert to attend. The Good Lord willing, and with St. Pete stamping my hand, I'd prefer to sit in the front row of a concert with Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin. I'd close my eyes, think, and know, I'm in heaven.

"Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever." Anthony Doerr

Love, Victurd

No comments: