Sunday, August 20, 2017

Life, sports, lessons

I don't like KU. KU people don't like MU. I didn't like Mark Mangino - he was good.

I've now, in the past 2-3 years, read 2 articles by Vahe Gregorian on Mangino and (MU buddies close your ears)I really like what he says, his philosophies.

I've recently been thru some crap - yes, one was a separation of a relationship, another was seeing my "liability only" $4200 van (with $650 in recent repairs) go up in smoke, literally totaled. I have absolutely no right to be bitter, but I was, and I'm sorry for that - for I certainly contributed.

Oh well.

Mangino was a very successful football coach at KU and he was forced out of his job in 2009.

Bitter?

"My feeling had been that when I left, I didn't like the way it happened," he said. "But my parents raised us that there's no use in life carrying grudges or being bitter. That will wear you out. I'm not saying it didn't hurt,. I put my heart and soul into it. But I put it behind me."

Damnit I liked that and I feel stupid/sheepish for moments of "poor poor pitiful me."

Shortly after being let go at KU his wife was diagnosed with cancer. It was really a blessing he got to spend so much time with her then. He even shaved his head in sympathy for her lost hair, and they joked about how bad he looked. She now cancer free and has a 4% chance of breast cancer returning. Good doctors, good medicine, and a pretty decent "coach."

He was an assistant coach for a few years but he was out of coaching when his mother fell ill. He got to spend oodles of time with her, his siblings/family until her recent passing.

Copying Vahe, sorry "And he knows he wouldn't have been able to do it if he were still a head coach."

"In a lot of ways, I'm lucky."

KU, this year, invited him back as they are putting the 2007 team in the "Ring of honor."

"I'm going back with a smile on my face," he said. "Life's too short to be bitter."

Nice Mark. See? Who said sports doesn't teach?

Love, Victurd

No comments: