Saturday, August 26, 2017

Final.



Finality. Final is all of the above, or, actually all to this side --> and/or down there: Camouflage, brightness, darkness.

The coffin clicking. Breaking the tape in track and field. Time to switch CD's. A mortgage burning. Breath. Breakup. A call from the HR dude, "ahm, can you come into my office please?" Uh oh. I really enjoy completely avoiding run of the mill. You know, "Why?"... "Why not?"

Band camp, last one, ha. Once I worked for a fine, fine company. I think managers hated/loved me. I think I did pretty decent work, contributed loyally to the bottom line - but, my smartassedness (usually winged at a manager who thinks they are beyond reproach) threatens my finality at the workplace. So, when I worked at that place, I sent an email to three managers about an IT suggestion that would "streamline" (their key word, not mine) our process. I sent it to three, and not IT, so they could relate if they felt the same need for this change. I have done this time and again because systems need improvement, so my brain (and mouth and keyboard) turn to "Why not?"

I'm thinking it was my 12th suggestion for the year, and one of the beyond reproach's replied to all "When's he retire?" Ha! This person is a really good, smart person, but belittlement of others is a common thing. A few band camps ago, this person had been on a company outing, with spouse... I'm thinking maybe drinks flowed aplenty as in the middle of the night, said spouse fell off the second floor balcony of their hotel. A scare for sure, but thankfully minor scrapes and bruises only.

Undaunted,and back to the email regarding the IT issue, I replied to all (Except beyond reproach), added the IT manager and started the email with something like "I think he/she loves me but I wish he/she was on the second floor of a Marriott somewhere." YOU DIDN'T? Don't you know me by now? Of course I wrote it.

So, as I awaited my phone call from the HR dude for my finality, the call never came. IT change/suggestion happened, I won, and it's December 29 BTW.

The final quarter. The final Nascar lap. "No outs to go!" Being a father (finally) at the ripe age of 32, hearing your mom (the grandma) say "FINALLY!" Final. A test when you are 20 where you drink 42 cups of coffee the night before and walk in as a zombie to take the test.

Finally, no training wheels. A Diploma. Down to your last dollar.

Band camp, part 2. I was down to my last dollar, but me being me, I had no idea of that. "Dad, can I use your card to rent a Redbox movie?". "Sure son, here." So, one of us, I truly forget which, forgot to return the damn movie until a week later. Happened online to check my bank account. Kaboom, kaboom, kaboom, kaboom, kaboom, kaboom, kaboom (that's 7 of em) overdrafts at $40 a pop. HA. My final dollar ended up being $7 in rentals and $280 in overdraft fees. The final time that happened.

Who knows, when one awakens, the final day will be. The final kiss. The final "I love you". The final (no pun intended) breathtaking view.

So, I guess the final message is this: Appreciate every moment, day, second. Inbetweengst, stir up a little shit. Monitor your bank account. Kiss often. Say "I love you" a lot. Take in the views. And - always get a 1st floor hotel room.

Love, Victurd

No comments: