Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Big girls don't cry (they don't cry)…..

And “fer sure” men shouldn’t cry yeah?

“In many cultures, it is more socially acceptable for women and children to cry, and less socially acceptable for men to cry.”

The above is according to “Wiki”… I vote, who cares?

I am still but 20 years from the age my father got to live to… In his later years – he very easily showed emotion – something that he hadn’t done (at least in front of my sister and I to see) in earlier years.

I’d wondered if that was due to his Parkinsons, it’s advanced stages… perhaps a medication he was taking.. Now, as I too age – I look back and don’t think it was any of the above..

Recently, for many, various reasons, situations – I find myself welling up.. a ‘happy’ well-up.. For instance, the past 20 days, the local radio station I listen to during my daily commute has been giving away a car (albeit used) a day to “a listener in need.”.. They read the stories – or, call the person directly and let them recount their story (most having a very cruddy run of bad luck, health, family woes, car trouble, etc.. through no fault of their own) – and then they announce to them they’re receiving a car to perhaps help them get things back on track from this down ‘blip’ in life…

The reactions of the recipient, the nature of it all, literally have made me cry – each and every time. The UP. The feel good. First thing outta brain: I’m embarrassed that I do this. Then, perhaps the more saner, wiser thing outta brain: I’m so very damn fortunate I am able to do this (cry, feel, like, love, show glee in ‘good’)…

Over the years, we see so, so much ugly crap in life – I think, if it is possible to draw a positive – "the ugly" helps accentuate "the good." Back in the day it was “it’s effeminate for a man to cry”… “men just don’t do that.”.. “in public?.. REALLY?”… I don’t give a rat’s ass of the perception of me on this, for me it’s a good thing. If one doesn’t feel in life, the hells the use in being here at all?

Longer I think about it –my father, his demonstrating emotion as he aged.. I don’t believe it was Parkinsons.. medication.. I believe I’m fortunate to have learned from him – and that he too had seen oodles and oodles of crap in his lifetime – and in aging, those super, special little emotional moments made him flow/feel easily.

Big girls DO cry… as well as old geezers.. and it’s Ok. Love, Victurd

No comments: