Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Why not?

You say you want a revolution, well, you know – we all want to change the world.
You tell me that it’s evolution, well, you know – we all want to change the world.
But when you talk about destruction,
don’t you know that you can count me out?
And don’t you know it’s going to be
all right, all right, all right.

Why not?

I’m a biased old fart. I love my age, my (our age… if you’re a dinosaur like me) age/era.

Rosa (Parks).. You kicked it off December 1st, 1955. You refused to give up your seat so a white man could sit down on the bus in Montgomery, AL. Rosa, I love you. Please close you’re ears… “Fuckin’ A Ray… WHY NOT?!”…

Read today, Pittsburgh Steeler’s Troy Polamalu’s hair insured by Head and Shoulders for One Million Dollars. Now wait a minute… hold the phone Jesse… Many ‘fought’ back in the day.. But our Senior Year in HS, two (Bob and Dean) got TOSSED because they said “Why not?” when growing out their hair. Is that like crazy or what? Two gents denied graduating with us simply because they refused to get a haircut. (Thankfully, our class.. of 1970.. Appealed, via the Student Council, to the Administration, and got this ‘rule’ changed.) Too late for Bob/Dean.. But, good for “Why not”” others closely behind us.

You say you got a real solution, well, you know,
we would all love to see the plan.
You ask me for a contribution, well, you know,
we all do with what we can.
But if you want money for people
with minds that hate, all I can tell you is,
“Brother, you will have to wait.”


Title IX happened. WHY NOT? Men were afforded so many dollars to participate in sports, whythehell not women? (I benefited greatly from this one… as I was afforded the opportunity to be the Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach at a local small college… and later was the Head Coach for, I dunno, 6-7 years… oh… and gotta wife outta the deal.. Why not?) This was balanced out, thankfully.

When we were in High School.. The want ads in the newspaper ‘espoused’ “Help Wanted Women”.. and “Help Wanted Men”… Something a bit amiss there. Our generation righted that.

Don’t you know it’s going to be
all right, all right, all right.
You say you’ll change the Constitution,
well, you know,
we all want to change your head.
You tell me it’s the institution, well, you know,
you better free your mind instead.
But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao,
you ain’t gonna make it with anyone anyhow.
Don’t you know it’s going to be
all right, all right, all right



The older one gets, the more biased one gets…. That said… WHY NOT try to name me a greater musical era than “our time”? The Beatles… Elvis…. The Temps.. The Rolling Stones.. Dylan… Joan Baez.. The whole Motown thing.. Simon and Garfunkel.. The Doors… The Moody Blues… The Supremes.. Jimi… Sly and the Family Stone.. Janis Joplin.. Woodstock..

Tie-dye. The Mini.. Paisley print. Why not?

Daring… Woody Allen… Anthony Perkins.. Stanley Kubrick.. Alfred Hitchcock.. Orson Welles.. Joe Willie Namath.. Muhammad Ali……. Why ask why? Why not?

I’m saddened by our era’s response to our guys that came home from Viet Nam.. Easily a confused War… I wouldn’t have blamed each, every one of you if you’da asked “Why Not” support us. Again, close ears, we fucked up here. Apologies can never make those memories go away.. But we do apologize.

I love my/our age. Asking “Why not?” be it in life, cultural, societal, family, the workplace, is a friggin’ wonderful thing. It’s about ‘joint heads’ congregating, coming up with “you know, maybe he/she is right?”… or… “there’s no way.. We’ve done it right for so long, let’s stay the course.”

Whichever……… The 60’s… Why Not?… rocks……….. Love, Victurd.

1 comment:

Jim & Jeannie Lalumondiere said...

I heard a statement some years back by some one who was sick and tired our your/mine generation holding life hostage with all our 60's BS. They would have understood if they'd been there. Their loss.......certainly not ours. PS, it's weird for me to think of you in terms of being part of the 60's. Weren't you around 10 then?