Thursday, August 27, 2009

Hide the beagle… Vick’s an Eagle…..

At first glance, this is one of the more humorous quotes/signs I’ve seen in awhile… Was a lady demonstrating outside the Philadelphia Eagle’s Stadium.. No doubt with Pita. Mixed feelings. Yes, atrocious were the things Michael Vick has done – yet, he paid two+ years of his life for the crime. No, it won’t undo the torture, but it wasn’t his determination as to how long he must repay society.

The Pita lady.. Hiding as well. My take. We all hide at some point, from something. Sometimes reasons unknown.

When we hide, we obsess. Pita is obsessing. Again, my take. Alcohol is hiding, obsessing. Overeating can be hiding, obsessing. Social anxiety is hiding. Economic inequity can even ‘cause hiding. Perceived “looks” or lack thereof can prompt hiding.

As a kid, hide and seek was a wonderful thing. The thrill of being unexposed caused giggles that sometime got you caught. The twists and turns and formations we put our bodies in to hide were amazing. We always knew the end though – and that was that hiding would eventually end. Caught. Tagged. Dinner bell. Darkness. Whatever, you were safe in hiding, ‘cause you knew it was temporary.

Hiding in life is different. There’s no one to come tag you. The dinner bell rings – you still hide. The phone rings, it goes unanswered.

Victor, this is getting depressing. Yes, that’s because hiding IS depressing. I’ve done it, you’ve probably done it, and we’ll all probably do it again.

Hiding is akin to working the New York Times Crossword puzzle. “There’s just no fucking way I’m gonna get outta here…. whadda I do?”..

Hiding is like digging a hole. Whilst hiding, you keep digging. The longer you hide, the more you wanna get the frig outta that hole – the farther it is to escape – the deeper it gets… and doom accompanies.

What ‘rescues’ folks from hiding? Friends. Loved ones. Altered habits. Sometimes I’m certain religion. (Danger danger Will Robinson, scroll to Pita/obsession)..

Yes… I’ve heard the label “avoidance behavior” substituted for hiding. Mebbe so. Probably so. Oh Ok, sure. Fine. Call it what you want.

Observations……. “I’m not going to the class reunion… LOOK at me!”… Duh, who cares. We is what we is. Love us or don’t love us.

I tend to hide from what I call “two fork dining”. I’m just a common man, drive a common van.. Did have a Yorkie once that had papers/pedigree… Smokey Butterball,.. .. Wonderful ex-sis inlaw got him for me at a puppy mill auction.. “$25.. he’s too large, and undesirous to breed.”.. Smokey was wonderful – ‘cept he understandably hid for one full year behind the bed… His hiding was induced, understandable. He’d lived in a one and one-half foot by two foot kennel his entire life.. Took awhile, but one day he realized he was FREEE!.. Dared to run.. Dared to enjoy.. “Hey, it’s OK if I wag my tail, YIPEE!”..

Kenneled. Somehow we got back to the headline. Fitting though. Hiding/kenneled. Finding the way out. What to do, how to react, relate, once we are out.

For some, there might even be comfort in hiding. Nomme. Hiding is not balance. Hiding is extreme. Obsession. Some by choice, some by happenstance, some by low self esteem. I’ve perhaps demonstrated a little bitta eacha those parts.

One day, I will follow my role model, Smokey Butterball – and I will run like the wind. Well… at age 56, it may be more like run like a breeze, but it’ll happen. Moments where I come out. Even days where I come out. Feels good. Rectum I oughta do that more.

Here’s to ladders for getting outta dug holes. Here’s to friends who stop by, call, just cause they care. Here’s to loved ones whose blood runs thru. Here’s to internal willpower, renewed self esteem – for it’s one of the most powerful things on the planet.

Thanks for listening. Sneaking out the back door now, hiding from management to have a quick cig. Sometimes hiding is fun, titillating. If you are in the hiding mode, God Blessya.. If by choice – that’s ok. If not, again, God Bless you to somehow find the power, the people, the inner strength – to escape from the hole.

Happy trails to you……… Until…. we meet…. again……. Love, Victurd.

No comments: