Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ace in the hole…

Those that didn’t take the time to stop and really observe him closely, called Ace a ‘simpleton.’ Nomme. Ace was the custodian at our high school eons ago. It wasn’t so much the outfit Ace wore, it was the smile.

I stop and think about life, what matters, what’s important, how do you define/have happiness. Ace was happy – very. He did a labor of love, and his labor happened to be not real fun to do – but he was surrounded by youth – and that youthful invigorism somehow kept him young.

Ace, like many that don’t have so much, frequently gave away anything they could to make others happy. Ace once gave me a sterling looking ring with Chinese writing on it. Neither of us had any idea what it said – but it remains in my dresser drawer today – as the day he gave it to me made me feel “Vic, you’re Ok”, and certainly made him feel good in giving.

For years after his retirement, Ace would spend hours upon hours seated on the bench between the two entrance doors to the local Piggly Wiggly – and I’d bet one in every three would stop to say hello’s. It somehow would make me still feel like a kid….

This morning, I was passed by a box truck – the kind that delivers uniforms, linens to companies. Brought a smile to my face. Onea my alltime favorite folks was my Uncle Glenn. Glenn delivered industrial linens the vast majority of his working career. I am dead certain he made many along his treks smile, happy. You ever know onea them people who could simply make you feel good in the way they greeted you… “HELLO Vic!” Without saying so, he ‘said’ “I really like you”, “I value our relationship”, “I’m a happy person,”, “I love it here where I’m at.”

Bette. Went to her visitation Monday night. Her kids range from five years older than me, to 15 years younger than I. Played ball over the years with each and every one of ‘em. Fine folks. In playing those games, probably way, way too many years – for each and every one there in her lawnchair was Bette with her everpresent smile – victory or not. The line you always hear “One of the nicest persons I know” fit Bette. She will very much be missed.

My heroes. People that suckup every ounce of fun live affords. We all, I believe, wade through occasional bouts of depression. “You’re crazy Victor, I DO NOT.” Yeah? Well I say you day. Might only be a horrified millisecond.. might be an entire afternoon.. or it could be an entire year. I say we all experience situational depression whether we admit it or not.

I bet even Ace, Glenn and Bette did too. Learn. I learn from them. It’s not so much the thought “how do I want to be remembered” as it is “how do I want to remember life?” On those occasions when I think about my leaking roof, the checkenginelight on, the under a hunnerd in the checking account – I try to stop and remember how people like Ace, Glenn and Bette reacted to their day.

I learned in school. I learned in college. I’ve learned in jobs. Ain’t nuthin’ like the education folks like them teach though. In the very end, isn’t that what’s important? Choosing to smile, be happy?

Those moments will happen where the corners of our mouths will point South. I reckon the only reaction should be for us all to stand on our heads then. I’m thinking that’s what Ace, Glenn and Bette mighta done.

I guess it is our choice for having a happy day. Thanks to all who've reminded me. Love, Victurd.

No comments: