Monday, August 12, 2019

Like a rock....... and whotheheck is Patty Boyd?

As in, perhaps the rock I've been living under.

Awhile back, I was prompted to take one of those "How much do you know about such-n-such?" surveys - this one happened to be about Current Affairs - and I flunked miserably - like maybe 4 correct outta 20.  That's ok, I admit to rather bland, perhaps C+ mentality/knowledge, however you wanna phrase it. I can handle that, and to be frank, I watch those damn things (quizzes) with disdain, especially when one sees "Nailed it, 100%".  Not a great fan of one breaking one's arm whilst backpatting.

I've long lived a life with blinders on.  Addicted to whatever is important (to me anyways) in my life (at the time) - full speed ahead.. examples - a 5'2" thing of beauty, being a father - an active father, running a business,  baseball, softball, coaching basketball, yada.

I repeat myself, and I don't care.  I repeat myself, and I don't care.  Once, while sitting in the living room with the 5'2" lady, I remarked "When did we get that painting?" (hanging on the wall).. "Two years ago,"  It's me.  I miss stuff.  Stuff everyone else sees, 'cept me. Like  (under) a rock.

This morning I perused the Parade Magazine from yesterday with decent, 'addictive' interest - as it was about the stories behind the songs.   I actually considered writing a blog about something like "I like to look at you" - a story of infatuation, a real life thing about someone I've long thought "I like to look at you" - but then, that'd be stupid, and who would want to air their own laundry?  Oops.

Then I saw "Layla," the classic - of course, by Eric Clapton from 1970.  This is the "Like a rock" part, where, YOU, probably knew all this crap (I was busy with blinders on, college, girls, baseball, yada) and I'd never heard of Patty Boyd.  You?  I was intrigued to learn that Eric wrote Layla about her, and at the time she was married to George Harrison, yeah, one in the same.

Parade wrote "Clearly, Boyd had something special, because two years earlier, Harrison had written another classic song, "Something," for her, which became one of the most recorded love songs ever." Then, seven years later, Clapton wrote "Wonderful Tonight" about Boyd.  Holy guacamole this lady MUST be Something (pun mebbe intended.)

So, I addictedly Wiki'ed on to ascertain more about her,  Microsoft, or whoever is the ruler of all language here, underlined addictedly - to say "It ain't a word" to which I say "Screw that, should be."

Wiki lemme know she was one of leading international models in the 1960's.  Her photos graced the pages of Vanity Fair, Vogue, Elle, yada.  Others, such as Twiggy, based their appearance on Boyd.

Boyd was cast, in 1964, in the Beatles' film A Hard Day's Night.  There, she met Harrison, and her career skyrocketed even further due to their subsequent romantic involvement.

OK, this is getting long, so I'll try to a Cliffsnotes version (I wonder whointheheck Cliff was?)

Married Harrison in 1976.  Other songs George wrote about her, "If I Needed Someone,"  "For You Blue,"and "I Need You."

Along came Ravi Shankar, George/Patty lived in Bombay, then, to escape fans/the press, they lived on a houseboat.  1973 she had an affair with Faces guitarist Ronnie Wood, then divorced George a year later due to his repeated infidelities, culminating with his affair of Starr's wife. Goodness gracious.  I was under a rock during all this?

So that domino toppled, and along came Eric.  Well, kinda.  Boyd rebuffed his advances, sooooo, he dated her sister.  Then, went into personal exile for three years with heroin addiction.  Cleaned up, long about 1974 he tried again, this time she left George, and ultimately married Eric in 1979.

Bouts of alcoholism (Eric's), some affairs (Eric's), led to their eventual breakup.  She later said, of Eric courting her whilst she was with George, it "had more to do" with the competitive aspect of the two musicians, "Eric wanted what George had."

Oh yeah, I left out Bell Bottom Blues, Eric wrote that about her.

Sooooo, for fifty plus years I never knew all this stuff..  so now I'm addicted to learn more.  Going to find/read her book, Wonderful Today... later re titled Wonderful Tonight: George Harrison, Eric Clapton and Me for the US market.

I ain't a book reader.  Now, am.  Or, will be.

So... if all that was boring, sorry. Kinda intrigued me.   I miss a lotta stuff.  Like that painting on the wall.

Going to the library now.  Seeya.

WHAT?  The Royals won the World Series?  Trump won?

Shit.

Love, Victurd

No comments: