Friday, August 02, 2013

Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?

I'm old. Not old enough to have seen the worst, but I'm old enough to have seen sickening. Callaway County Courthouse, four restrooms, white men, colored men, white women, colored women.

I seen you 'round for a long long time
I really 'membered you when you drink my wine

Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?

I'm old enough to remember the local theater had a main floor, and a balcony, and if you weren't white, you couldn't sit on the main floor.

I seen you walkin' down in Chinatown
I called you but you could not look around

Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?

I think I remember (I very well could be wrong on the timing/actuality) our local swimming pool wouldn't allow anyone but white folks to swim, but of course, if the athletic skills of 'others' were great, "yes, you can play on our high school (football/basketball/wrestling) team, but no, you still can't swim here."

I bring my money to the welfare line
I see you standing in it every time

Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?

The recent "Sports Center" story of the racial slur by the Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver sickens me. I abhor, hate, vomit, at any kind of discrimination.

The color of your skin don't matter to me
As long as we can live in harmony

Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?

I get upset when anyone who isn't of Indian descent bemoans an 'intruder' to our country. I am of German, Irish, English, Indian descent. We all came/come from somewhere. Get over it. Are you special because you speak English and I don't? F that.

I'd kinda like to be the President
so I can show you how your money's spent

Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?

Anytime I read/see/hear discrimination, I have this great urge to relate to those discriminated against "NO!!!!! WE DON'T ALL FEEL THAT WAY!" People are people, screw grouping due to race, creed, size, age, economic status, heritage, etc.

Sometimes I don't speak too bright
but yet I know what I'm talking about

Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?

Long about the time I entered school (circa 1956), segregation had thankfully ended. I was lucky. I grew up with friends (every color), family, that stressed/demonstrated equality. No, it wasn't yet perfect, but we youths thankfully learned the right way.

I know you're working for the CIA
they wouldn't have you in the Mafia

Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?

Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?

Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?

I honestly think sometimes, if I were black, or very aged, or very obese, Asian, Hispanic, dreadfully poor, mentally impaired.... I might be dead now due to retribution.

Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?

Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?

On behalf of all mankind, if you've ever been on the receiving end of discrimination, I apologize. Please know I (and the very very very large majority of folks) love you, and I'm sorry.

Love, Victurd

No comments: