Sunday, August 18, 2013

Do overs....


Hey, maybe I'll dye my hair
Maybe I'll move somewhere
Maybe I'll get a car
Maybe I'll drive so far
They'll all lose track

Victor, are you going to do two blogs in a row on the same topic?

Mebbe. Seems we're amidst the "Get it right" era. MLB announcing they too will use Instant Replay to make corrections. Home makeovers. Body makeovers. Wrong turns, U-turns. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Me, I'll bounce right back
Maybe I'll sleep real late
Maybe I'll lose some weight
Maybe I'll clear my junk
Maybe I'll just get drunk on apple wine
Me, I'll be just

Fine and dandy
Lord it's like a hard candy Christmas
I'm barely getting through tomorrow
But still I wont let
Sorrow bring me way down

Life with pen... not pencil/eraser.

Whiffle ball, circa 1961. Eight youths, most wearing jeans adorned with patches to cover the holes in the knees from past slides - sweating, living, loving - playing as if it were the 9th inning and we were Mantle... Maris.. Musial.. Mays... Aaron.. Gipson... Ford.. Berra... "OUT!".. "No, he was SAFE!".. "WAS NOT".. "WAS TOO".. With no umpires, after a heated profanity-less argument - it was mutually agreed - a "do over" was in order.

Ill be fine and dandy
Lord it's like a hard candy Christmas
I'm barely getting through tomorrow
But still I wont let
Sorrow get me way down

Buddy at a bar the other day... "Wouldn't you give anything to be 18 again and have it to do allover?" Eh, I dunno, at age 60, I'm pretty tired! That sounds like work!

Little League World Series yesterday. Canada vs. Czech Republic. 1-0, Czech. Kid from Canada slides in home... cloud of dust.. "Yyyyyeerrrr OUT!"... Canadian coach disagreed. Home plate ump retreated to the dugout for a TV review... walks back out... extends his arms to give the "Safe" sign.. 1-1. Three pitches later, same thing. Kid slides in home.. "Yyyyyeerrrr OUT!"... Disagreed. Ump to dugout. Walks back out.. Smile/smirk on his face.. extends arms... "Safe"..

That's me, kinda. Do it all over again to get it right? Smile/smirk on face. Nah - it's been a great ride. Besides... I woulda never attended game 7 of the 1985 World Series. (Thanks DD).. No Solly Hemus, Billy Martin chin to chin with the ump.. I woulda never had the son I love. (Thanks MJTWBSL...sorry,an inside joke)..

Hey, maybe I'll learn to sew
Maybe I'll just lie low
Maybe I'll hit the bars
Maybe I'll count the stars until dawn
Me, I will go on

But Victor... you could have that 32" waistline you aspire to have. Nah, but thanks. Gimme a 300 burger.. some pulled pork... topped off by a bag of Chili Cheese Fritos.. downed with a 12-ouncer of MBL.

But Victor, that 401K perhaps wouldn't be 'laughable".. You are SO right on that, but nah.. I'm 60.. too tired to 'do over', attempt to get it right. I'll continue on, opting for "Always Save" (not really, next best thing, "Best Choice").. used cars with check engine lights.. and "The Beast" actually tastes pretty good to me.

Maybe I'll settle down
Maybe I'll just leave town
Maybe I'll have some fun
Maybe I'll meet someone
And make him mine
Me, I'll be just

Fine and dandy
Lord it's like a hard candy Christmas
I'm barely getting through tomorrow
But still I wont let
Sorrow bring me way down

But Victor, you wouldn't have that scar under your eye where Jimmy Couch threw that bone at you.. and remember that time you ran to the front door, put your hand out as if to stiff-arm the glass door, you lost, the glass won and you got that scar inside your elbow? Yeah, I remember both - but it's life/memories from cherished times.

Scars from words said/heard.. Unfortunately, they're in ink. Can't be undone.

Ill be fine and dandy
Lord it's like a hard candy Christmas
I'm barely getting through tomorrow
But still I wont let
Sorrow bring me way down

There's no going back to the 50's/60's.. and getting it any better.. How could you improve upon Matt Dillon, Hoss, Ben, Lil Joe, Andy, Barney, Opie, Here's Johnny.. Whiffle ball, kick the can, Chief's autographs when they're spotted in Safeway.. China, Archie, Ace, Grundy, Mabel, Stevick, Nail, Franklin, Ridgeview, LHS... not to mention the greatest musical era - ever. Yes, ever.

Ill be fine and dandy
Lord it's like a hard candy Christmas
I'm barely getting through tomorrow
But still I wont let
Sorrow bring me way down

And WHAT to top the 70's/80's? Nicholson, Stallone, Gould/Sutherland, Streisand, Here's a story, of a man named Brady.. Royal's teams that won, often.. Archie/Edith.. Sigma Nu/WJC.. Childbearing/raising.. Personal wants/needs moved to the backseat.

Cause I'll be fine
(Ill be fine)
Oh, I'll be fine

And being 40, 50, 60? Do over? Nah, I'm too tired from all the fun I've had. I enjoy every wrinkle I've 'earned.'

But... but... but you could pick a different career? A different mate? Expand your friend base.. Not have to work into your 70's (the good Lord willing).. You could go back and buy NEW CARS instead?

I'm too tired. Me, I personally find water going under the bridge settling, calming, enjoyable. I don't think I ever scored 100 on a 'test' anyways.. No do over needed. I (and I hope you too) have loved life - even if the shirt occasionally bore an 'irregular' tag.. the choice was not the best.. missed answers on a test.

I've been fine and dandy. Whilst sure, the memories fade - blessed with "Instant reply" of life, past events, family/friends, jobs in my head.

"Yyyyyeerrrr OUT!"... Yeah.. you're right ump, I was. Too tired for a do over/replay.. .. nice call. Nice life.

Love, Victurd.

No comments: