Wednesday, May 15, 2013

It was a very good year......


When I was seventeen
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for small town girls
And soft summer nights
Wed hide from the lights
On the village green
When I was seventeen

Kisses, first ever.. Wheels? You mean I can go anywhere I want, within reason? The Kuu Kuu.. Formal dances.. "mom, can you help me tie this dang thing?"... We were a 5 hour energy drink, way before it was invented.

When I was twenty-one
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for city girls
Who lived up the stair
With all that perfumed hair
And it came undone
When I was twenty-one

Sammy's... Shakey's.. Kelso's.. I'm an adult, but I'll worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.
Friend's getting married... friend's having babies.. the landscape is changing..

When I was thirty-five
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for blue-blooded girls
Of independent means
Wed ride in limousines
Their chauffeurs would drive
When I was thirty-five

Worries... Food on the table.. Corporate ladders.. Role modeling, all that matters. "NO, you can't have another candy bar, you'll never get to sleep.".. Somewhere amongst the hustle-bustle, "oh yeah, I love you, and now I remember why it's all worth it."

Now wait a minute...............

Frank... you went to fast.. the 40's... "so, I noticed you followed us home from graduation.. may I ask, your home, is that somewhere near where we live?"....College bills, back pills, sore feet ills.. Due to feeling horrific on Mondays "no thanks, I can't play in that basketball league on Sunday night this year -we're doing other things." The midriff has bulged. You're not a kid any more.

Fitties.. Screw the corporate ladder. Boss, leave me alone, and you'll be thankful for it. "Get off my ass (tailgater)"... AARP card, are you S#@ting me?.. The whim of 'not letting go of one's youth' and behavior alike leads to pulled muscles, torn this, separated that.. stubbed/broke/fell all this.

But now the days grow short
Im in the autumn of the year
And now I think of my life as vintage wine
from fine old kegs
from the brim to the dregs
And it poured sweet and clear
It was a very good year

Seated in the chair, hands clasped behind the head, elbows out, watching the youngn's about. The 'want' to retire is tempered by the "is it really gonna be over? I wanna enjoy these last years of work".. "Yes honey (Grandchild).. I know it's 7pm, but sure you can have another Snickers.. here.".. Enjoyment in watching our own children wiggle through (scroll to "When I was 35")..

Of the age "don't wanna".. "don't haveta".. "don't care (what you, or anyone thinks")... "Nope, I don't wanna do that."... No more: resume's... PTA/Back to School.. Driving to/from soccer, little league, volleyball, dance... Car pools, baby stools..

Don't need the Current River.. the inside (fast) lane on 435.. Decisions made about what we want/don't, when we want.. The glow, coming from sitting back, watching others relive the stages of our lives.. 17 = who cares about tomorrow. 21 = don't wake me up before noon. 35 = we've got to plan tomorrow, today.

Old fart: Tomorrow? Sorry.. I' busy taking in today.

It was a mess of good years.. Love, Victurd

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I think it's Awesome you can write down your thoughts like this, never thought of it before.. Kinda nice to put down your thoughts...Did anyone ever tell you, you should put these all in a book, fortunes have been made on a lot less?? At least it would be interesting reading with the world of smiles it would generate.. enjoyed.... Sandra