Thursday, June 30, 2011

Regrets

He wants to dream like a young man
With the wisdom of an old man
He wants his home and security
He wants to live like a sailor at sea
Beautiful loser…

Regrets.. I’ve had a few… I shoulda not quit teaching, would be retired now. 1981, United Airlines. “Victor, we’re laying off in Kansas City, you can go to New York or Chicago PERMANENT part-time, or quit.” Oops. Many of my buds who did are retired.

Beautiful loser
Where you gonna fall?
When you realize
You just can't have it all

S’more regrets. Wish I’da spent money I’ve spent over the years on 5% beer on a 5% 401 K instead, oh well,but then again, think of the many, many smiles, happy times, camaraderie.

He's your oldest and your best friend
If you need him, he'll be there again
He's always willing to be second-best
A perfect lodger, a perfect guest

I regret not selecting the perfect woman for me, or, I spose conversely not being the perfect man for she(s)… I am far, far, far from perfect – but twice in my life I’ve heard “it just isn’t there any more”… Beautiful loser, sure – but, don’t believe that was all my problem.

Beautiful loser
Read it on the wall
And realize
You just can't have it all
You just can't have it all

I regret not telling folks I REALLY love/like, that I really love/like ‘em. Not any longer – I do tell. What better than hearing from someone “Hey, I love you”.. “Hey, I really like you”.. and thankfully, old age has taught me to spout that out with pretty good frequency nowadays.

You just can't have it all
Ohh, ohh, can't have it all
You can try, you can try, but you can't have it all
Oh yeah

I regret not knowing cats until my 30’s… I regret not being home frequent enough now to justify a hound. I regret not saying to the ones who are now gone, who impacted my life, “hey, you impacted my life.”

He'll never make any enemies, enemies, no
He won't complain if he's caught in a freeze
He'll always ask, he'll always say please

I regret any moments, periods of shyness. It feels so good nowadays to have this converted extrovert inside me that ain’t afraid to say “damn, you look nice today.” “Hey, I heard how you handled that situation on the phone, way cool” I regret all the missed years of not pumping people up, ‘cause it in turn pumps me up. Selfish? Mebbe, but not a bad trade off.

Beautiful loser
Never take it all
'Cause it's easier
And faster when you fall

Fallen. Done plenty of that, over and over again. Only regrets there, simply not “getting up fast enough upon occasion.”

You just don't need it all
You just don't need it all
You just don't need it all
Just don't need it all

Thanks for the song Bob. Kinda made me dance/type/sing all in one. Ok, I spose I regret the missed years of “who gives a damn what you look like dancing, get out there an FEEL.

1. to feel sorrow or remorse for (an act, fault, disappointment, etc.): He no sooner spoke than he regretted it. (Been there, opened mouth, done that)

2. to think of with a sense of loss: to regret one's vanished youth. (Nah, lived, loved, and loved the times)

3. a sense of loss, disappointment, dissatisfaction, etc. (comes with living)

4. a feeling of sorrow or remorse for a fault, act, loss, disappointment, etc. (Comes with being human)

Sure, life sends us regrets. All in all, I’ve had a pretty darn good life, sure, with some regrets. Hope urs has been wonderful as well.

Love, Victurd

No comments: